Hi,
My roof is leaking and not knowing anything about a tile roof I called in a plumber who once left me a mail drop. Now when I bought this house 2 years back (it was 4 years old at the time) the building inspector told me of a leaking ensuite shower and I spent some time working on it - and again and again when the leak intermittently reappeared.

Anyway I am saddled with a leaking roof which needs the capping rebedded, the plumber says, as the original builder used the wrong type of mortar. I can see the mortar opening up in many places and digging in there causes the sand to blow away in the wind.

Now I do not know the plumber, like I did not know the building inspector and I would really appreciate knowing what I should be looking and asking for. The plumber quoted me $2,900 to "remove all the capping, remove the existing mortar and replace it with a correct material." My home is in Brisbane, a modesty sized 3 bed with integral double garage.

I have obviously bought someone else's problem and I guess that after 6 years there is no comeback on the builder but I would really appreciate advice on how to ensure that my roof will be sound for many years to come.

Thanks to all for your help.

Brockie

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...