Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best kind of glasses

I have used the standard hard plastic safety glasses for years. They have done the job for the most part except a couple of times, dust/other objects have gone into my eye because they don't completely cover the eye. I also have another pair of glasses (these have an elastic strap at the back) that do afford better coverage but the plastic is softer so I don't know how much protection they will provide.

What are the best all-round glasses that offer good protection whether grinding metal, sawing timber etc?

Whichever ones you'll wear most often without thinking about it. (no 'Aww, stuff it, just this once won't hurt...')

Also depends on the amount of discomfort you are willing to put up with. I stick with standard wraparound safety sunglasses most of the time, because they are easy to carry (always have them) and they are my sunglasses too. They only cost $14 a pair, so I carry a few pairs in the glovebox, on the fridge, desk, etc etc so it's very rare that I don't have them on if outside.

But if I'm doing something involving more chaotic motion (whipper snippering, chainsawing, grinding) then I'll upgrade to a full face shield (with earmuffs, so it's two birds with one stone), or if it is a splash hazard, then goggles with elastic strap (I've had paint stripper in my eye once, and that was quite enough!).

No eye protection will protect you from every conceivable hazard, but generally, impacts large/fast enough to get through safety glasses will be in the class of 'accompanying bone fracture'.

Very fine dust is another matter - get the same sort of goggles that the firies use, or even a full face respirator (I got mine off ebay for $25, so I'm a happy camper).

My issue is that it is hard to wear safety glasses with the glasses I need to wear for seeing. Any suggestions?
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

I have to wear glasses and haven't found safety glasses that work over my glasses. And goggles tend to fog over after a few minutes. At one time I had prescription safety glasses that I wore in the shop. They worked. But a second pair of glasses can be expensive. Lately I've taken to wearing a face shield in the shop.

ron

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89 View Post
    My issue is that it is hard to wear safety glasses with the glasses I need to wear for seeing. Any suggestions?
    I got some bifocal safety glasses from the US, just standard magnifier lenses, if that works for you there's an option.

I used Uvex Ultrasonic 9302 while metal polishing, still have a couple of sets in the workshop. Replaceable faces for when they are badly scratched (get about a month full time polishing each) fit over virtually all eyeglasses except my humungous driving sunnies, fairly light and cope with almost anything, including wearing disposable dust masks.

Smile

hi i got some safety glasses from usa also with magnifiers at bottom only ones ive had that i can walk about with , saw similar locally for around $80 these cost about $15 from memory , some one on the forum put me on to them and got 4 pair . to cut post

I use a pair of prescription safety glasses most of the time at home and work. While a second pair is expensive, I don't have to think about eye protection (except for whipper snipping, chainsaw work , etc when I wear a face shield). This means that I don't have to find another set of safety glasses to go over my normal glasses.

An advantage to this is that I can keep my "normal" glasses for the office and don't have to worry about the expensive frames getting damaged or the lenses scratched. Best of all, I don't have to remember where I left my safety glasses !!

Quote Originally Posted by burraboy View Post
    I got some bifocal safety glasses from the US, just standard magnifier lenses, if that works for you there's an option.
    I got some likes these from wood craft in the US $6.95 a pair.

I now wear glasses all the time so I have prescription safety glasses for shed work etc. When I renew my normal script I can normally haggle a good deal on upgrading the safety's as well

Most of the time the easiest solution - no fogging, sweat falling etc, I find it easier to wear a shield like the one in the link. This type also curls under to provide some chin and neck protection - it's called Armadillo.

As it is very easy to use as well as quite comfortable it is more likely to be used.

http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBA...1997&P=7119711

Regards,
    Bob

I like the safety glass bifocals for fine work. $30-50 from Woodworking warehouse in Melb. Click. Only wrinkle on mine is that the mag'n segments are pretty small. Better if the bottom 3rd did the mag'n.
    Cheers, Ern

I didn't have to pay for them but I use a pair of ski goggles
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

Default The Glasses.

Hi All,
    As I wear Prescription Glasses all the time, I am rather fussy as to what I wear over them.
    So at a Field Day, I found some Amber Coloured Wraparounds. $5 something.
    If you try these Amber ones, for, say 2mins, then take them off, you wood? swear somebody had turned the lights out .
    I find them OK, for what I do, but it is the Amber ones for me.
    Regards,
    issatree.

I've had people get swarf under their safety glasses, especially when grinding metal. I insist they wear goggles (which fog up for a while and then come good) or a full-face shield - which can also fog up if you try hard. The shield does offer more protection - much nicer to see the marks on the plastic than have sparks going up your nose.

But if we're trying to save a few bucks on eye protection, just remember we get what we pay for. And we only get one chance to regret it.

Cheers,