Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wipe on varnish over french polish

Can a layer of wipe on varnish be used over french polish? Is one varnish layer thin enough not to spoil french polish look but still stong enough to protect the surface (i.e. from alcohol marks).

Pavel

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel
    Can a layer of wipe on varnish be used over french polish? Is one varnish layer thin enough not to spoil french polish look but still stong enough to protect the surface (i.e. from alcohol marks).

Pavel
    French polish is shellac dissolved in metho and applied via a mystical procedure, akin to witchcraft, to produce a fine finish.
    French polishers can be recognised by the fact that they have little horns protruding from their heads and are always as high as kites from breathing the fumes.
    Shellac is often used as a coat over raw timber to show up blemishes, as a pre final sanding filler cum fibre raiser and to give some protection.
    Apart from the fact that a spirit based varnish will dissolve the shellac and thereby offend the ancient Gods, I don't know of any reason why you can't apply a varnish over the top.
    One word of caution. French polish finishes are often waxed from time to time by house proud significant others. Varnishing over wax could create a problem.

It only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert WA
    ...Apart from the fact that a spirit based varnish will dissolve the shellac and thereby offend the ancient Gods, I don't know of any reason why you can't apply a varnish over the top...
    Yes spirit based varnish will probably ruin french polish but what about oil based varnish? Oil based varnish won't dissolve french polish. Are there any problems here?

Pavel

<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle><?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t136 adj="10800" path=" m@7,0 l@8,0 m@5,21600 l@6,21600 e" o:spt="136" coordsize="21600,21600"><V</V<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:lock v:ext=[/img]</o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1025 style=" 417pt; 34.5pt" coordsize="21600,21600" strokeweight="1.5pt" strokecolor="white" fillcolor="#7a007a" alt="HARD SHELLAC" type="#_x0000_t136"><v:fill type="gradientRadial" focussize="0,0" focusposition=".5,.5" color2="#c0c" rotate="t"></v:fill><v:shadow on="t" opacity="52429f" color="black"></v:shadow><v:textpath style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Impact'; v-text-kern: t" string="HARD SHELLAC" trim="t" fitpath="t"></v:textpath></v:shape>

HARDENED DEWAXED WHITE SHELLAC <HR></TD></TR></CENTER><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">

<CENTER>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=387 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=209>SIZE</TD><TD width=77>PRICE </TD><TD width=95>TAX</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=381 colSpan=3><HR align=left width="95%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=209>500ml bottle with flip top lid

5 litre black poison bottle

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=36>A$24.00

A$150.00

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=136>+ GST in Australia

+ GST in Australia

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=left width=381 colSpan=3 height=45>

ORDER FORM
    <HR align=left width="95%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ever wished you had a finish that was as easy to use as shellac but with the durability of polyurethane? Well wish no more, because here it is.

This unique Hardened Shellac creates a film that will withstand heat, water and alcohol, yet it is used in exactly the same was as any normal shellac. It can be applied with a rubber as French polish, brushed, sprayed and dipped.

</CENTER>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Al

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    ...HARDENED DEWAXED WHITE SHELLAC...
    Yes I know about such beast. But this doesn't answer my question (I never asked about hardened shellac but about varnish over french polish).

Pavel

Pavel.
    I can't answer your question as to the effect of oil based varnish. Whatever you put over french polish will, surely, ruin it as a finish. The point of the exercise is to create a new finish.
    My father was an avid, part time french polisher and, having watched him perform the ritual, my view is that 1200 grit sandpaper is the best thing to put over it, followed closely by the less fragile finish of your choice and then take a 6 month holiday in the time you save.
    I don't know anything about the product Al suggests. It is a U-Beaut product and you can go to their site from a link at the bottom of this page. U-Beaut sponsers this site (thanks again guys) so you should use their products as often as you can. (That should be worth a greenie or two.)

It only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel

Pavel
    But you did ask about this.................

Al :confused:

Al.

"Stop ya whingen and go here.... www.ubeaut.com.au"

Whoops. Keep the foiley on.

Rob.

Thanks guys. Looks like nobody tried putting varnish over french polish. Maybe this is just a stupid or creazy idea :confused: BTW I own Neil's book and I think somewhere it encourages readers to experiment (or didn't it).

Pavel

Have you thaught of a nice slab of glass.
    It will certainly resist most solvents & abrasion. It doesn't offend the shelac gods & its very easily reversable.

Some of the more refined would consider varnishing over french polish like re iceing a finished wedding cake with fresh dog .

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Quote Originally Posted by soundman
    Some of the more refined would consider varnishing over french polish like re iceing a finished wedding cake with fresh dog .

cheers

And so eloquently spoken, but very true. Why hide a brilliant finish that takes a lot effort to get under a dull varnish. :confused:

BTW thanks for considering me one of the more refined.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by soundman
    Have you thaught of a nice slab of glass.
    It will certainly resist most solvents & abrasion. It doesn't offend the shelac gods & its very easily reversable.

cheers
    Well put Sir.......

Al

Polyurethane and Lacquer will both go over shellac successfully
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    And so eloquently spoken, but very true. Why hide a brilliant finish that takes a lot effort to get under a dull varnish.
    Sorry for being so persistant (or stupid if you wish). You are saying that even one thin varnish layer (which is really thin if wipe on varnish is used) will still be that noticeable. How can you be so sure if you never tried it?

Pavel

Hi Pavel,

I have some antique furniture my great-grandfather made out of silky oak, that was finished with shellac (brushed on, I was told - though not sure) PLUS a varnish of some sort over the top. (Sorry about the lack of the main info you needed!) 40 plus years down the track, the finish is great, despite heavy use. He died even before I was born, so I can't find out what varnish he used, sorry. I would experiment.

Cheers,

Jill