Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Howkins View Post

The world has continually gone through warm & cool periods. The earth's orbit about the sunis not as fixed as people thing, It moves out by a couple fo thousand kilometers - it gets colder, it moves in gets warmer. The polititians can legislate till there balck in the face and they wont' stop that
    Fluctuations in climate due to variations in the track of the earth around the sun and variations in the planets axis of rotation (you left that one out) are easy to seperate from climatic fluctuations due to other factors. You can measure the orientation of the earths axis of rotation and you can measure the current position of the planet in relation to the sun.

When you talk about climate change you should always state over what time scale youre talking. Climate change is like tracking the stock market. If you only tracked the ASX over a 17 day period up to mid last week youd say were heading for a major recession. If you pan out and look at the stock market over the last 20 years you see a totally different picture....you see an overal rising trend but within that trend you see smaller scale dips and rises. Its the same with tracking climate change over time. Over time weve had multiple periods of glacials and intervening interglacial periods. The last ice age ended circa 10,000 years ago. Within each glacial or interglacial however there have been smaller scale fluctuations such as Europe's periods of cooler climate over the periods 1150-1460 and 1560-1850.

Cheers Martin (Geologist)
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Default moose contribute to GW

In what is possibly a good example of the greenhouse gas solution carbon 'offestting' gone too far, moose populations are being used an example of a contributor to global warming. Apparently one moose in a year will release the same amount of of greenhouse gases as a road trip around australia in an average sized car.

The solution, help save the planet, shoot a moose today!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-26040,00.html

Moose emissions put wind up Norwegians

Roger Boyes, Berlin | August 24, 2007

THEY are dubbed the "Kings of the Forest" and are regarded by Norwegians as their national symbol.

Now, though, scientists have calculated that because of their increased burping and farting, the placid moose is an eco-killer.

During a single year, according to the latest research, a full-grown moose expels -- from both ends of its body -- the methane equivalent of 2100kg of carbon dioxide emissions.

That is as destructive for the atmosphere as the emissions released by 13,000km of car travel.

"To put it into perspective, the return flight from Oslo to Santiago in Chile leaves a carbon footprint of 880 kilos," said biologist Reidar Andersen.

"Shoot a moose and you have saved the equivalent of two long-haul flights."

The findings, from the technical university in Trondheim, place Scandinavians in a dilemma. Many are dedicated winter tourists to Asian destinations such as Bali and Thailand.

Is shooting moose about to become a fashionable way of easing their troubled environmental consciences?

Researchers in Scotland and Wales have been examining how the feeding of dairy cows could be changed to cut back their gaseous belching. No such work has been possible, however, on Norway's 120,000 wild moose.

Already, though, climate change has so altered their eating habits that they are involved in an environmentally vicious circle of increasing gas emissions. It began when snows started to recede in Norway.

"Moose normally eat branches in the winter, a not particularly nutritious diet," said Erling Solberg of the Norwegian Institute for Nature Research. "But since snow has become so much rarer, they have access to wild blueberries."

The result has been fatter moose that are more likely to break wind.

Moreover, better-fed, the moose have started to reproduce more quickly and the herds are swelling.

Last winter, there were reports of moose straying into towns in search of yet more food -- eating Christmas decorations and smashing shop windows to reach displayed vegetables.

Norwegians are pleading for higher hunt quotas to keep the moose numbers down and their emissions under control.

The hunting season begins on September 25 and the authorities have allowed a kill quota of 35,000.

"Think of it this way: remove a moose from the world and you have saved the equivalent of 36 flights between Oslo and Trondheim," said Professor Andersen, who hunts moose and researches their gas output.

The Kyoto protocol counts a tonne of expelled methane equivalent to 21 tonnes of CO2. The World Resources Institute estimates that 14per cent of global greenhouse emissions are down to methane, a third of which is produced by cows and dung.

The Times
    http://www.nowpublic.com/moose-metha...ers-norwegians
    Environment News
    Moose Methane Bothers Norwegians

In spite of the fact that the moose is Norway's national symbol, Norwegians want to kill more of them to keep gas emissions under control. Scientists there claim that climate changes have led to the increased burping and farting of increasing numbers of moose, with one full-grown moose expelling (from both ends) the methane equivalent of 2,100 kg. of carbon dioxide emissions. They say that a return flight from Oslo to Santiago, Chile, leaves a carbon footprint of 880 kilos. Shooting one moose saves the equivalent of two long-haul flights.
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...501145,00.html
    Norway's Moose Population in Trouble for Belching

The poor old Scandinavian moose is now being blamed for climate change, with researchers in Norway claiming that a grown moose can produce 2,100 kilos of carbon dioxide a year -- equivalent to the CO2 output resulting from a 13,000 kilometer car journey.

Now poor moose are being blamed for global warming.
    DPA

Now poor moose are being blamed for global warming.
    Norway is concerned that its national animal, the moose, is harming the climate by emitting an estimated 2,100 kilos of carbon dioxide a year through its belching and farting.

Norwegian newspapers, citing research from Norway's technical university, said a motorist would have to drive 13,000 kilometers in a car to emit as much CO2 as a moose does in a year.

Bacteria in a moose's stomach create methane gas which is considered even more destructive to the environment than carbon dioxide gas. Cows pose the same problem (more...).

Norway has some 120,000 moose but an estimated 35,000 are expected to be killed in this year's moose hunting season, which starts on September 25, Norwegian newspaper VG reported.
    http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1949645.ece

Burping moose bad for the environment
    Amidst all the talk about carbon dioxide emissions and global warming comes news that Norway's national mascot may be contributing to the destruction of the environment, through burping and other bodily functions.

The country's so-called "King of the Forest" hasn't been widely viewed as having any really nasty personal habits, surely none that could be considered an environmental threat.

But now some researchers linked to Norway's technical university (NTNU) in Trondheim contend that moose are responsible for tons of gas emissions a year through their frequent burping and, well, farting.

"Shoot a moose and save yourself a climate quota," joked moose researcher (and moose hunter) Reidar Andersen at NTNU to newspaper VG on Tuesday. He's published a book on the life of a moose.

And he's only half joking. The research web site www.forskning.no has calculated that the annual gas emissions from a moose are equal to those from an individual's 36 flights between Oslo and Trondheim.

A grown moose will burp and pass so much methane gas in the course of a year that it amounts to 2,100 kilos of carbon dioxide emissions.

Newspaper VG reported that a motorist would have to drive 13,000 kilometers in a car to emit the same.

Bacteria in a moose's stomach create the methane gas, which in turn breaks down the plant fibers the moose has eaten. Excess gas is (ahem) farted out, and methane gas is considered more destructive than carbon gas. Cows are also a source of such gas emissions, while pigs and chickens are more environmentally considerate.

VG reported that 120,000 moose wander around in Norwegian forests. This year's looming moose hunt (elgjakt), which begins September 25, will eliminate an estimated 35,000 of them.
    so if your a moose, u better run !

does anyone wonder if humans actually produce more GG's than moose ?
    "I am brother to dragons, companion to owls"

So obviously the Norwegians need Moosetraps
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Emissions from Cattle have been a CSIRO project for a number of years, some people get all the good jobs.....
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Note where it says that climate change has forced a change in the Mooses diet which in turn leads to greater CO2 output from the animals gut. In the same article you have the moose as a contributer to climate change and then in the same article you have the Moose as a victim of climate change. This is cr*p journalism and its diverting attention away from the real issue which is the effect that _humans_ have on the climate of this planet.

If humans suddenly disappeared from the planet then I doubt the Moose would have any impact on the world's climate at all. Human activity (including domesticated animals) contributes far more CO2 to the atmosphere than every wild animal on the planet.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

For those of you who watched Martin Durkin's documentary "The Great Global Warming Swindle" have a read of the comments on this website and note in particular Durkin's response to errors in his documentary that he himself has acknowledged but has refused to amend.

http://www.climateofdenial.net/?q=node/3

Quote Originally Posted by reeves View Post
    In what is possibly a good
    TLDNR

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tldnr

People don't read long posts on the internets unless they are very, very interested in the topic.

Rather than just quoting acres of the internet, how about we save a few electrons on behalf of the planet...

woodbe.

Alot of people seem to be able to afford the time to read the label on a beer bottle or spend an hour studying the form at Randwick.

I guess it boils down to what you think is important in your life.

Im a scientist so I guess I find the issue of climate change more interesting than most. Science has always had a problem conveying itself to the layman...its the white coat syndrome. Most scientists can talk their science to a fellow scientist till the cows come home but stick the same scientist in front of a layman and ask him to explain his science then few scientists can accomplish the task.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigeo View Post
    Note where it says that climate change has forced a change in the Mooses diet which in turn leads to greater CO2 output from the animals gut. In the same article you have the moose as a contributer to climate change and then in the same article you have the Moose as a victim of climate change. This is cr*p journalism and its diverting attention away from the real issue which is the effect that _humans_ have on the climate of this planet.

If humans suddenly disappeared from the planet then I doubt the Moose would have any impact on the world's climate at all. Human activity (including domesticated animals) contributes far more CO2 to the atmosphere than every wild animal on the planet.
    Yes it is, but thats an example of what the GW issue has become. It's turned into a witchhunt where any scapegaot is a good one and the fundemental practices of modern human society are often ignored in the alarmist zealor thats been promoted far and wide on the issue.

I think the journalism in that article is fine, its points out whats happening, the mooses diet changes and the moose pumps out more gas than it did before, no fault of the moose. I posted 4 articles on the same issue to give some diversity to it in terms of examining news on GW.

I wonder if humans who live on a diet of freshly cooked moose will fart more ?

I wonder if you suggested hunting down a few billion humans to ease the strain on resources 'causing' GW, would you be very popular...

Quote Originally Posted by woodbe.
    People don't read long posts on the internets unless they are very, very interested in the topic.

Rather than just quoting acres of the internet, how about we save a few electrons on behalf of the planet...
    hahhah , i'll make em 4 times as long if want, i just posted the actual article sin the page to save people loading new pages to read em..besides its all moot really, or moose as the phrase would have it..

There's a lot more cows than moose around, and according to this article "The methane produced by a single cow is equivalent to 2,622 kilos of carbon dioxide."

We need to take advantage of Cow Power and turn their dung into electricity.

Apparently Roos don't produce methane.

Researchers have identified an enzyme in a roo's gut that may be usable in cows to prevent methane production
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in climate change, and I read a lot about it, but the internet discussion of the issue is generally polarised, and when people start posting big tracts of text onto internet forums, they're usually showing lots of stuff that supports their own opinion, and surprisingly, there is a lot more where that came from. Sends me to sleep...

And I don't read beer bottle labels or Randwick Form guides kiwego

woodbe.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbe View Post
    , they're usually showing lots of stuff that supports their own opinion, and surprisingly, there is a lot more where that came from.
    ahh yes its definatley my opinion that whole issue has gone way beyond the science and reached increasing levels of absurdity, hypocrisy and ignorance, hence the Moose post...i dont have any problem with people posting wads of text, the internet is not exactly short of it..

i get the google news feeds daily and post to a few other forums on the issue and it never ceases to amaze me the diverse angles to which this issue has grown to encompass, i have also read several books and watched most of the docos i could

heres some more posts with gargantuan wads of text, have a good snooze...;-)

http://www.johnbutlertrio.com/forum/...ic.php?id=2433
    http://www.johnbutlertrio.com/forum/...ic.php?id=3473
    http://www.johnbutlertrio.com/forum/...d=61285#p61285

Alot of people seem to be able to afford the time to read the label on a beer bottle or spend an hour studying the form at Randwick.
    not for a while now, do horses product methane? I know I do,
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com