Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Okay enough of this bickering and muckin about!!! IVE GOT A FRIGGIN ISSUE HERE!!

So I bought a welder today right... right! so I got it home and its got a 15amp plug right... right! so I know I dont have any 15amp outlets right... right! so Im thinkin Im a right friggin wally this time right... right!

But there I am just starting to fret about having to try to get the fellas at Perth Tools and Machinery Sales here in Bunbury to swap it for something else that has a 10amp plug and get to thinking about what to aim for so I go to CIGs homepage and download the info/spec sheets on their arc welders

I find mine right there no worries transarc easywelder turbo "light industrial" no problems so I start to move down through the pages and I find myself in the "industrial welders" section and I find this little number Transarc 141VRD so I look at the plug setup and it says
    "SUPPLY PLUG AND LEAD:
    15 amp lead, 10 amp plug"

EH WHASSAT??... so theyre making a sodding INDUSTRIAL welder thats supposedly more industrially compatable than the transarc easywelder turbo in my shed that has a poxy 15amp plug that I cant use... that has a 15amp lead WITH a 10amp plug??? So does this mean I can simply change the sodding plug without affecting the supply or performance of the machine or what???

Damn this sorta thing is bloody riritating!!... sorry if I sound phissed of fellas but geeeeeeez give me a break! IF they make one with both a 15amp lead and a 10amp plug thats supposedly higher rated for use then surely its a given that a lower rating one can also have the 10amp plug on the 15amp lead???

Now to me thats the sorta question that SCREAMS to be asked!!
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Wild Dingo,
    An interesting dilemma, with an obvious ,simple solution. As you have no 15 amp power point, I would assume you haven't used it. Return it and get the one with the 10 amp plug. If they are a customer orientated business they should be more than happy to oblige. (I was in Machinery and equipment retail in Western Australia once apon a time and I know I would have done it as customer service). Swapping out the plug is not a good idea as if the unit does drawn 15 amps it will trip your breaker/blow the fuse everytime you use it. Note: a power circuit rarely has just one thing attached so even if it doesn't draw the full 15 amps, any other items plugged into that circuit and drawing current at the same time contribute to the overall circuit load. Now.... as far as giving advise and this topic. This is the sort of advise that I see as sensible to give. It doesn't advise breaking any laws and doesn't say "call a licenced professional" hopefully it helps some.
    Andrew

It is indeed clear cut, but it specifically relates to building a house: it means that a builder can not employ people to do electrical work if they are not licensed. Anyway, the simplest way to clarify the matter is to call the licencing board in your state, like I did, and see what they tell you. I'll bet that it is the same as in SA. The legislation does appear consistent.
    I rang an inspector from the Dept of Fair Trading in NSW. He says that the Housing Act does indeed affect what you do in your own home and there is no way known that an unlicensed person would be allowed to do their own wiring under any circumstances. He also mentioned the insurance ramifications. I asked about SA but he said he could not comment on another state, although he would be surprised if that was the case.

I don't think we have a conclusive answer. What we would need to see is a case where someone has been fined for doing their own electricals.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Borer
    If someone asked the question "My 10 Amp fuse blew is it OK to replace it with a 20 Amp fuse?" How would you answer that question?
    I'd say "get your board upgraded to circuit breakers, then when it trips you wont need a sparky to come and fix it".

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I used to have a chart somewhere showing the ratings of paper clips through to 6" nails.
    If in doubt, use a 6" nail or a bridge spike
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

A responsible person for an electrical installation in a place must, to the best of the person’s ability and knowledge, ensure that such parts of the electrical installation as may be prescribed by the regulations are maintained in accordance with the regulations while the electrical installation remains connected to the source of the supply of electricity.
    I think you will find that this is the paragraph on which it all hinges. The regulations state that all electrical work must be carried out or supervised by a licensed person, so you cannot maintain in accordance with the regulations if you do it yourself.

Here are the regulations.

So, in a nutshell, you can do the wiring yourself but it must be certified by a qualified person. So if you can get a sparky to certify your new light fittings, then you are OK. Otherwise, you can be fined.

And finally this:

Section 14 (Unqualified electrical wiring work) of the Home Building Act 1989 makes it an offence for a person to carry out electrical wiring work unless the person is authorised to do so under that Act.

What penalties does the act stipulate for unlicensed work silent?

(I'm too lazy to actually read it )

Maximum penalty: 500 penalty units (in the case of a corporation) and 150 penalty units (in any other case).

Whatever that translates to....

Edit: that's for failing to maintain your installation in accordance with the regs.

Maximum penalty: 1,000 penalty units in the case of a corporation and 200 penalty units in any other case.

That's for carrying out wiring work without a license. So they could probably get you for both.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Maximum penalty: 500 penalty units (in the case of a corporation) and 150 penalty units (in any other case).

Whatever that translates to....

Edit: that's for failing to maintain your installation in accordance with the regs.

Maximum penalty: 1,000 penalty units in the case of a corporation and 200 penalty units in any other case.

That's for carrying out wiring work without a license. So they could probably get you for both.
    So what the H is a penalty unit?
    Cheers,

Bob

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Honorary Bloke View Post
    IN Vic criminal law it was $10.00, corporate may be different.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Honorary Bloke View Post
    The current value of a penalty unit in all Commonwealth and NSW cases is $ 110 and in Victoria it is $ 100 for local government prosecutions and $ 106.43 for state prosecutions.

Peter.

These DIY high voltage wiring seminars are sooooo interesting and everyone wants input. Maybe there could be an ice cave built for the freaks - next to the one for the drivel freaks. There's such a wealth of knowledge.

(Need to be able to post pictures of crispy black items though )
    1st in Woodwork (1961)

Quote Originally Posted by sundancewfs View Post
    Wild Dingo,
    An interesting dilemma, with an obvious ,simple solution. As you have no 15 amp power point, I would assume you haven't used it. Return it and get the one with the 10 amp plug.
    Andrew
    I just rang the bloke explained it to him "No worries mate bring it back in and we will sort you" So Im about to head off and change it over for something else probably a TIG/ARC welder but maybe a MIG if he can convince me I need it
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!