Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Go and buy one.........

We have a Fisher and Paykel double DishDrawer which came with the house (fortunately!) and we would never live anywhere without one now.
    As said before, just scrape the plates into the bin, and stck it all in. Press the button, and go do your own thing. This whole business of them taking longer to wash up than doing it by hand is a moot point. All the while the machine is doing it's job, I'm doing something I want to, instead of grumbling to myself by the sink. I'd much rather spend 130 minutes (the longest, heavy wash on my machine, although I usually use the 56 minute quick wash) surfing the net or mooching around the garage than 30 minutes washing up. I guess if you have a passion in life to put dishes away as quickly as possible after using them, then maybe handwashing is the way to go for you!

One thing to remember though: The resultant wash will only be as good as your stacking. It's a bit of an obsession for me, stacking the washer. My wife, on the other hand, well I'm sure she stacks it by throwing the dishes in from the other side of the kitchen. That or she just pours them in from a washing up bowl. Then she complains when she takes stuff out and it's not clean! The only time I've had stuff come out with food on it has been when I've not noticed that something is hanging through the bottom of the plate/cuttlery rack, and it's stopped the spray arm going round.
    "I'll find him for three. but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing......."

As mentioned, check decibel ratings .... I have just recommended a client to buy an AEG dishwasher from Clive Peeters as they are offering a 'double-warranty' deal until January. the dB rating is very good, with I believe only one Miele model coming in quieter. One more thing to consider is that I have read that that more recent dishwasher actually use less water than manually washing up .... I don't claim this is correct, but I have read it in a range of journals. In our area, less water is better always, so it is a real consideration.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Jake I have had a change of heart....I was recalling some photos you posted and noted the state of your hands and fingernails!

Mate fill up the sink...... break out the dish washing liquid...Palmolive of course...and get scrubbing.

To finish of the picture make sure you are wearing a frilly apron, wipe your brow with the back of your hand....leaving some suds....whilst calling out to the missus ..........."Darling would you like me to do the ironing when I finish?"

God invented dishwashers to prevent scenes like this transpiring in homes through out the world.

Thumbs down

Dont listen to them Jake, dont buy one.

Save the planet and hand wash, save power, save all those horrid chemicals from going down the drain and into the sea.

Only used 17 litres of water per load X 3 if you do, dinner plates, dessert, odds and sods.

How did the oldies get by without one has got me beat?

PS. never had one, never want one.

PPS, the quotes about using less water are sponsored by, wait for it, the dishwasher manufacturers...

I'm not sure what Brickie is on about but there you are. Clearly you don't spend too much in the kitchen.

Anyway, I would also recommend ASKO dishwashers. They are extremely quiet and are very efficient with energy and water.

I would not recommend a Fisher and Paykel anything. F&P have a reputation of not being able to service what they sell.

I was working in an office in Sydney that had three F&P fridges. One of these broke down. The serviceman came while I was in the kitchen and told the facilities manager that they didn't have any parts to fix the fridge. It was less than a year old.

I've also had many problems with my F&P washing machine. When it finally dies I can guarantee that F&P will not get my business again.

Also note, the Dish Drawer dishwasher cannot take the larger dinner plate sizes. I know because I considered one.

Hey jake, just remember that brickie don't need a dishwasher.

If the goin gets tuff he just loads it all inta his cement mixer
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

I can certainly vouch for the Miele. We bought one a couple of years ago, and haven't looked back.

It's whisper quiet, the only time it makes noise is at the start of the drain where you get a bit of a gurgle from the drain, but most of the time it's pretty hard to tell when it's running.

The big selling points were the shelves felt really solid, and, this is what got the missus hooked, a cutlery drawer.

Only uses 17l for a full wash, and about 12c worth of electricity. The only down side is the Universal wash cycle takes 2 hours, but the last 55 mins is drying time.
    Cheers,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by markharrison View Post
    I'm not sure what Brickie is on about but there you are. .
    He was on about giving Jake another opinion, like he asked for..

Quote Originally Posted by anawanahuanana View Post
    ..........sure she stacks it by throwing the dishes in from the other side of the kitchen. That or she just pours them in from a washing up bowl. Then she complains when she takes stuff out and it's not clean!.......

This is exactly why I don't mind a few minutes washing up, it saves me a fortune in new dishes.

Just because you can't hear the thing doesn't mean it uses less energy than washing by hand. I don't need everybody on the planet to do their dishes by hand, but don't up my back and tell me it's a sunshower. And two hours by machine, thirty by hand? It takes me MAYBE ten minutes to do the dishes, dry them, and put them away. About the same amount of time it does to scrape them, arrange them correctly for optimum machine cleansing, put in soap, and start the machine. And it's done. I don't have to wait for someone to unload them in two hours. Nothing pisses me off more than sending clean dishes back through the dishwasher to justify a full load because the convenience extended to never removing them from the dishwasher.
    Do nothing, stay ahead

Thumbs up

G'day Jake,

Are they worth it? Ruddy oath!

You got kids?

Like me you hate washing up and if you have to dry up then you let them drip dry and put away hours later?

Want more time for more important things in life?

Then get one.

In-laws bought us one to help take some of the load of us with 2 kids - 1 now 2yrs and the other 6 weeks old. It's saved us hours of washing and drying up each week. They bought us, in consultation with SWMBO, a Fisher & Paykel single drawer job
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by markharrison View Post
    I would not recommend a Fisher and Paykel anything. F&P have a reputation of not being able to service what they sell.
    That's an interesting call! Here's my F&P experience:

2.00 am: alarm on fridge starts to go off. Hmmm. Reset it, write down the flashing light order and go to bed. Goes off again. Stuff it, turn off fridge.

8.30 am phone F&P service, they know from my name and address the date I bought it, the model, and have all the codes at hand. I tell them what happened.

12.00 midday, a service bloke arrives, (with part) and fixes the thing, less than four hours from our original call.

That may have been exceptional service, but our previous fridge (F&P) was 14 years old when we sold it with the house, and no breakdown. This one is six, and one callout about 9 months into its life.

I'd buy again, every time. Made in Brissy too.

Cheers,

P

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge View Post
    Made in Brissy too.

Cheers,

P

And the ad account is handled by DePasqualie.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Also have a look at Choice magazine reviews, and possibly the British eqivalent, Which - all libraries have back issues.

From personal experience of frequent breakdowns and abysmal parts service I would avoid any product made by Email - they are the pits. Just as bad as those unknown Asian superspecials.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge View Post
    That may have been exceptional service, but our previous fridge (F&P) was 14 years old when we sold it with the house, and no breakdown. This one is six, and one callout about 9 months into its life.
    I'd call that dumb luck based on my experience.

Yea this is worth you should buy one .... as you said your wife dosent have time so you can easily do the work buy that .....