Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Speeding fine

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna
    What sort of income does a speed camera operator get Iain?
    I think it is Tennex (sp) who operate the camera's, income, no idea but would guess $40k plus.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

I think Kenmill's behind it all.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgy
    I think Kenmill's behind it all.
    Before your time Bodg surely.

Quote Originally Posted by craigb
    Before your time Bodg surely.
    Length of service nazi, craig?

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Yeah I say hide the cameras and stop the radio telling all the folks where the kodak moments are..

Dont like paying the fine??? Dont speed!!

It is not revenue raising it is called enforcing the law.....

Just my thoughts

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by scooter
    Length of service nazi, craig?
    Who, moi?

I think that what Rossluck is saying is just that the cops can be very cynical about where they put their traps.

Like he's said himself, he was speeding, he's copped it sweet and paid the fine. He's just having a whinge.

I think we've all seen the cops place their traps in areas where it's easy to make a booking whilst true black spots go un-policed.

Craig (who was last booked in 1981. Probably have tempted fate now and will be booked tomorrow )

I want the gov to put one of those double wammy cameras ( speed and red light) outside my place, it sounds like a bleeding race track at night. Since i have lived there for the past 6 years there have been 12 killed on the this stretch of road.
    In that time i have not seen a camera car but only the occasional unmarked pursuit vechile.
    It does not even get a mention on the camera location list fromthe Gov. I have seen one parked down Tooronga Road but never dandenong road.
    It would pay for the install in a few days.

I got a nice speeding fine once(my only offence ever...), was holidaying in banana land driving along the new Bicentennial hyway on a experimental stretch of 110kmh(Im from SA so Im use to it)cruising along at the limit using cruise control we decided we needed a drink so we pulled off the hyway into a servo which was on the old road, the driveways(in and out)were about 100m long.
    So I send the SWMBO into the shop while I kept the motor running with the aircon flat out... took off hit resume on the cruise just as I left the driveway got to 110km FLASH... done for 111 in a 100 zone... the 100kmh sign was inbetween the driveways of the servo!

I know here in Vic there is no quota that we have to meet, no riseing through the ranks for getting lots of tickets.

The number of traffic coppers on the road compared to drivers is quite small so you have a high chance of getting off.

We sit in spots where people speed, thats our job. We dont set the speeds we only enforce them. If you dont want to cop a fine dont speed that middle peddle works wonders.

I have to disagree with one thing midge sitting in roadworks zones is not a revenue raiser, the amount of complaints we receive from road workers is phenomonal. Stand close to the road when a car gos past, even at 40 is intimidating let alone having them go past you in excess of 60.

On a side note, Ive just finished 2 nights of an operation where we got to use the new vehicle impoundment laws, I must admit a very good law. 14 cars seized for 48hours, most for speeding by 45 or more, 130 in a 60, 172 in a 100. Lets see if it changes these young kids behaviour so they dont wrap themselves round a pole, I suppose time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_574

I have to disagree with one thing midge sitting in roadworks zones is not a revenue raiser, the amount of complaints we receive from road workers is phenomonal. Stand close to the road when a car gos past, even at 40 is intimidating let alone having them go past you in excess of 60.
    I agree with roadwork speed limits, but i disagree with police or Tenix standing there on weekends and nights booking people when there is no one there working.
    A lot of times the signs go up before the road works start and are still there months after they have packed up and gone.
    I do remember something about this some time back where someone got booked and the courts threw it out. But our wonderful dictorship we have running this state change the law.

But im sure if you have the time and want to dispute your fines there are piles of books in the state libaries with all the old english laws which most have never been repelled.

My worst-ever speed trap experience was on the Eyre Hwy, when I was working on a section at fraser range, about 110kmeast of Norseman. The worksite was about 10km from end to end and, as I was testing all the work, I knew precisely where each bit was being done. Soooo, I'm tooling along at 110, heading for the nearest area of work at the other end of the job, when who should pop up but Sergeant Plod, sitting with his little radar gun at a 40km/h workzone 8km from the nearest actual activity and which was actually due to be taken down that day, because the job was completed in that area. There were at least 5 other 40km/h zones before the active work area was reached, but he chose that one, knowing full well that people would have been travelling for several hundred kms at 110 and he'd get the best return.

it wasn't the $350 fine or the 6 points that bothered me, it was the fatarse loser copper's attitude of "if you want to argue about it, I'll arrest you and you can leace your car here and come into Norseman with us", when I pointed out the obvious facts. I have a lot of time for coppers in general, but some simply shouldn't be allowed out in public. I suspect he wasn't all that pleased when I pointed out that I had no intention of arguing with someone whose professional record after years of service fitted him for a job in Norseman - ar$ehole.
    Cheers,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_574
    We sit in spots where people speed, thats our job. We dont set the speeds we only enforce them. If you dont want to cop a fine dont speed that middle peddle works wonders.

I have no objection to the coppers operating speed detectors - they save a lot of lives. I'm all in favour of work zones too, having been on a site in which a worker was killed by a car after the airblast from a speeding truck knocked the guy off balance into the path of the car. Sadly, however, some people are just lazy, including coppers and it's those lazy ones that give the rest a bad name.

I remember years ago when wayne Goss came to power in Qld, he made a promise to abolish speed "traps", in which the radar is placed at the bottom of a downhill, or just around a blind corner or at the change of speed zones, which used to be commonplace here in Qld pre-fitzgerald inquiry. I must say, however, that I've noticed a major resurgence in that sort of activity over the past couple of years.
    Cheers,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler

And what is it, a highway or some mountain switchback in france. Long highways dont suddenly have corners so tight that you cant see 100m in front.
    You obviously haven't done much driving...
    Cheers,
    Craig

I wasn't going to wade into this debate but this is one of those arguments that bobbs it's head up around here every now and then.
    What people don't seem to be able to come to grips with is that speed limits are just that - limits. So in a say 60 zone you can drive UP TO 60km/h anything over that is speeding and punishable by law.
    However most people assume that this is the speed you should be travelling at along this strech of road (and yes I do it as well).

And I'm sure sombody has already said it : "It's only a speed trap if your speeding"

BTW my last speeding fine was in 1984, in a Cortina (sorry BoB)

Now let's all use those tools, build a bridge and get over it.

H.
    There's no such thing as too many Routers