Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    Why don't you save all of us some grief, and buy your dad some professional IT help, and a Mac?
    .....or a Quarter Pounder with cheese.

Lol, I just can't win.

Even though I realize it is a losing battle for me:
    andersen

Anyway, I can see it was a mistake to even post. I let my emotions get the better of my judgement - I happened across a site where at least one person was admitting to the rather jouvenile and mean-spirited harassment that my dad encountered last spring. I felt I had to say something,
    my mistake and stupid of me. I should have realize that coming in as an unheard of person making this claim would just open myself and family up for further ridicule. *shrug*

I don't know what anyone thinks I would have to gain if this is anything but what I say, but I am sure creative people can think of something.

Anyway, I do apologize for coming to your forum with just this. I can understand the skepticism and hostility too. Again, the right thing would have been to ignore it and not let it get to me, and not disrupt your forum by bringing up this old post with some silly idea of doing something small to 'right a wrong'. I am sorry.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Iain, I think that link is virused!!! My Virus protection is going a bit crazy at present.

RR

Quote Originally Posted by rufflyrustic
    Iain, I think that link is virused!!! My Virus protection is going a bit crazy at present.

RR
    Nope.
    Work ok for me.

Al

There is an explanation at the top of the page, if you are using McAfee.

Sorry and thanks
    RR

"authebay.net" is owned by Kenneth Andersen ([email protected]) of Erie, PA.

This is cut from the above link.
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Quote Originally Posted by rufflyrustic
    Sorry and thanks
    RR
    Pleasure Ma'am (From he has priors for not reading first )

Quote Originally Posted by kjander
    Lol, I just can't win.

Even though I realize it is a losing battle for me:
    andersen
    Um, I looked too, always giving you the benefit of the doubt, and lost patience before I found this site. The only google reference I found was also in http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/linksthatlie.html and the reference was as follows

Below are some real life scams that embed a real domain name inside a fraudulent one:

The domains "eBay-secure.com" and "authebay.net" and "ebayserver.net" are not associated with eBay. The latter is registered to Anthony Birolini ([email protected]) of Yerres, France. "authebay.net" is owned by Kenneth Andersen ([email protected]) of Erie, PA.
    I've checked, and the domain is still registered to the same Kenneth Andersen. Is that an unhappy coincidence, has someone stolen the name and address to fraudulently register the domain, or what other explanation is there?

Surely one can't be entirely naive if one knows how to register a domain name, and then, what was the REAL motivation for using the ebay reference???

I am REALLY curious now. If someone had registered a domain in my name without my permission, I would have transferred it to the FBI the day I found it!!! It wouldn't be too hard for them to track down the credit card payment of the scamster??? I'm sure the above site would be keen to find the details as well, so that it could expose how that was done.

I'd be interested in a response??

P
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

I suppose the point of all this is that it is very easy to register domains and create email addresses which make you out to be someone you're not. As Mathew so rightly pointed out, a scammer would be pretty dumb to use their own name. Do the domain name registrars keep a record of the name on the credit card that you pay with? I doubt it, since you're not supposed to store credit card details - and I doubt they would disclose it on the net. I could register a domain using someone else's name and pay for it with my card. Someone looking for the owner of it would not find my name anywhere near it.

kjander's story is certainly plausible... "I'm trying to quit that..." - could be something a person might say if they were trying to stop something not of their doing, dunno. Doesn't make a lot of sense in the alternative scenario anyway. Who can say?
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

I should point out that last time I had anything to do with it, registering a .com address was very easy, could be done online, and with a level of anonymity.

On the other hand, registering a .com.au domain required also sorts of documentation including proof of a registered business or company name. That may have changed.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    I should point out that last time I had anything to do with it, registering a .com address was very easy, could be done online, and with a level of anonymity.
    It's still the same, and if I found a dud domain in my name, it wouldn't last all that long!

Cheers,

P

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    That may have changed.
    Nope. Registered a domain for my old's business last month. Had to supply business details and stuff!
    Have a nice day - Cheers

if I found a dud domain in my name, it wouldn't last all that long
    Ditto. Just pointing out that it is a plausible story. Now, where did I put that razor?