Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

....ahem'....you do know that some of us Yanks read these posts also

Don't really see a lot of "great" movies (can you say "Crocodile Dundee"?) coming out of Oz either....with the exception of "Ned Kelly"

Now, having said that...I do agree with most, if not all, what has been said about Hollywood and their mind-numbing, ludicrously stupid, so-called major productions...most of them suck royally....makes it easy to spend more time in the shed instead of in front of the boob-tube
    Cheers,
    Ed

Do something that is stupid and fun today, then run like hell !!!

There's plenty of really good, bleak Aussie films around. They're just not much fun, I get enough bleakness in reality
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Reiss View Post
    ....ahem'....you do know that some of us Yanks read these posts also You don't believe Hollywood IS the US do you? It doesn't represent the world truth. This is not about the US being hopeless. (That is for another thread. ) Just the frustration that Hollywood has the strangle hold on all the movie theaters and gets away with making really bad movies.

Don't really see a lot of "great" movies (can you say "Crocodile Dundee"?) coming out of Oz either....with the exception of "Ned Kelly" Has "Ten Canoes" found its way to the US? Prolly not. That is fantastic. Try and find it on the net maybe. .....But this is not a competition though.

Now, having said that...I do agree with most, if not all, what has been said about Hollywood and their mind-numbing, ludicrously stupid, so-called major productions...most of them suck royally....makes it easy to spend more time in the shed instead of in front of the boob-tube
    Yeah! I get lots of other stuff done too.
    Last edited by RETIRED; 28th January 2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: PINK! AHHH.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Don't really see a lot of "great" movies (can you say "Crocodile Dundee"?) coming out of Oz either....with the exception of "Ned Kelly"
    We are not exempt from making rubbish but here are some movies you should see, The Dish, The Castle, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Muriel's Wedding, Pricsilla - Queen of the Desert, Mad Max I & II (I think its called Road Warrior outside Oz), The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith, Romper Stomper, Stone to name just a few.

TL and Cruzi ...will check out those titles next time I go to the library. Thanks
    Cheers,
    Ed

A couple of other good Australian movies, Lantana and Jindabyne.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

How about the local Williamstown man who wrote a play about a liquid metal man. He gave a copy to a producer who latter made guess what

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    There's plenty of really good, bleak Aussie films around. They're just not much fun, I get enough bleakness in reality
    Bad Boy Bubby has both the bleak and the funny, and a whole lot of other.........
    Traba non folis arborem aestima

Only the educated ones

Ned Kelly - your not referring to that Mick Jagger thing are you?

Have you seen Breaker Morant, Gallipoli?

Well put

Only the educated ones

Whoops...watch what your accusing me of

Ned Kelly - your not referring to that Mick Jagger thing are you?

Nope...it's the one starring Heath Ledger, Orlando Bloom, Naomi Watts, and Geoffery Rush. 2004 release.

Have seen Gallipoli, but not Breaker Morant...will keep an eye out for it.
    Cheers,
    Ed

Only the educated ones

Whoops...watch what your accusing me of

Have seen Gallipoli, but not Breaker Morant...will keep an eye out for it.

M - a - t - e, [Only the educated ones]

That is a compliment

Only uneducated people would ignore this forum

You'll love the Breaker - trust me - I used to work for the government

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    M - a - t - e, [Only the educated ones]

That is a compliment

You'll love the Breaker - trust me - I used to work for the government
    ....ha, since when do the words "trust me" and "government" go along in the same sentence
    Cheers,
    Ed

All idea's are rip offs in some shape or form.......with our own flare

....ha, since when do the words "trust me" and "government" go along in the same sentence
    Key words are "used to"

Seriously, The comment was also a little tongue in cheek in relation to the movie "Breaker Morant". These blokes trusted what they were told and paid the price - I'm sure you will be "entertained" by this movie.

Dear Cruzi,
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzi View Post
    We are not exempt from making rubbish but here are some movies you should see, The Dish, The Castle, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Muriel's Wedding, Pricsilla - Queen of the Desert, Mad Max I & II (I think its called Road Warrior outside Oz), The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith, Romper Stomper, Stone to name just a few.
    Don't forget "The Man From Snowy River" (Just the first one, mind you! Ed would like that one because Kirk Douglas was one of the stars - in two different roles!. Brian Dennehy was in the second one, but overall it just wasn't quite up there with the original...) And you'd also have to throw "Phar Lap" into any list of Australian Greats! "The Mango Tree" and "My Brilliant Career" come to mind as well... "Strictly Ballroom" was another one that packed some real Boxoffice muscle, too. And hey - how could you go past "Babe"... (only the first one, mind you...)

Ed - some of those films are just not going to mean anything to you Americans. I mean - Guys, how could the Yanks possibly understand "The Castle"?... Or "Chopper" for that matter, hey?... "Two Hands" would be good too, Ed, if you wanted to get a grip on the modern "Australiana" feel of things, and you didn't mind Heath-Ledger... (Bryan Brown steals the show, though...)

Yes, Aussies punch above their weight when it comes to film-making. Unfortunately, however, the patrons here are generally more interested in American product. But I think the whole industry is currently in a state of flux. Will cinemas even still be around in ten years? Maybe not... This has got to have an effect on the style of movie that they will end up beaming/cabling down to our Loungeroom Flatscreens, no matter what country the film is getting made in...

Final word: Tom Cruise should have at least had a crack at a German accent in Valkyrie...

Best Wishes,
    Batpig.