Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Maglite

After nearly 3 years of retirement I have gone back to work selling home additions for Spanline.

They have in their range the opportunity to install Modwood on their decks.

As I have never had any experience with it before, but I was told by the manager who is a builder that if we sell Modwood we would have to go and install it ourselves.

They maintain that it contracts and expands excessivly and will buckle as well over a period of time like all plastics it will become brittle. As well as that apparantly the recommened method of fixing is to fix it on the opposite side on each alternative joist which when the light hits it you receive this rippling effect in appearance. Hope this helps make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by maglite
    I have yet to veiw the product in the flesh so to speak but from most accounts it does perform very well and it is very price competive with reeded jarrah...around a $6.00 per sqm.
    This sounds a bit cheap don't you mean per Lineal metre

Quote Originally Posted by julianx
    This sounds a bit cheap don't you mean per Lineal metre
    Thanks for pointing that out.
    The jarrah cost me about $4.80 per lm.
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got

I have just laid a modwood deck and am very impressed to say the least. The company supplied the material in custom cut lengths and I had minimal waste which is a plus and it lays perfectly straight and even as being extruded it is dimensionally perfect. It does not bend or twist, and as far as I can tell doesn't move with temperature. It is comparable to hardwood in price and never needs any maintenance which was the reason I laid it. I would recommend it if you want to avoid ongoing maintenance but if you like work then use timber by all means. The only minus I can see is that the surface temperature on hot days is far higher than timber, I measured about 60 degrees with my infra red temp gun on our hottest day. Everyone who has seen it is very impressed with the finished result and so am I.

Default Composite/ PVC Decking

Hi there,
    Does anyone have a recent update on composite decking? We have looked up Trex an American product but it appears to not be in Australia. I would if I decided to use such a product rather it be Australian made. Modwood got a bit of a canning on this forum dated 2004. Does anyone know about WPC decking of anything similar brands? Their site reads up quite well but as you know the proof is in the pudding. I thought that there may have been an improvement with this sort of product as our local council has just announced that it it going to use a recycled wood /like product for walkways. I like the idea of using maybe a recycled product but would appreciate some feedback. Does it warp, shrink, splinter ( yes some did as quoted here) etc. Regards Chris

Default Composite decking update

Hi All

As far as I know there at least 3 wood plastic composites (WPC) decking product available Australia wide and a couple more in some states. In WA DS Agencies have Correctdeck from Canada, there is Modwood (Aus) and Marine & Allied have Ritewood.

Feedback I have is that Ritewood looks more like wood than any others, in fact I have seen the Ritewood which has had a sealer applied it looks just like wood without heavy grain feature.

Personaly I like the look and feel of timber, however quality timber for decking is becoming harder to find and in an outdoor situation the problems twist, warp, splinters and ongoing maintance makes it a bit unpractical.

Recomend you see and compare samples, also see instalation using these in an outdoor situation. I do see they all have warrenties but realy they have limited value, Nexwood WPC was offering 10-20 years warrentee but have now shut up shop so the warrentee is now worth jack.

My brother in law used some plastic pretend weatherboards on their house. Not sure of the name but it sounds similar to the decking stuff. This would've been at least 10 years ago. Within a couple of years it was buckling and warping. After a bunch of years of small claims tribunal they got the them to refund (and remove) and he put up timber weatherboards. Perhaps the product is better these days but I'd want solid evidence before I went down that path.

Check out the costing!!!!!
    I can purchase iron bark for the same amount....
    Try scratching the surface and you'll see it looks newer it will then take 6 - 12 months to fade again...
    Hopefully this isn't the future cause it looks SH*t the only upside is the set lengths....
    Half the composites are extruded with holes in the end grain which the suppliers have told us to cover with hardy plank
    YEAH RIGHT!!! my customers have taste if there product is trying to take over its place should be firmly in the treated pine customers market....
    Then maybe we would move it...

My 2 Cents

www.dialadeck.com.au

utemad

Quote Originally Posted by Mini View Post
    I have just laid a modwood deck and am very impressed to say the least. The company supplied the material in custom cut lengths and I had minimal waste which is a plus and it lays perfectly straight and even as being extruded it is dimensionally perfect. It does not bend or twist, and as far as I can tell doesn't move with temperature. It is comparable to hardwood in price and never needs any maintenance which was the reason I laid it. I would recommend it if you want to avoid ongoing maintenance but if you like work then use timber by all means. The only minus I can see is that the surface temperature on hot days is far higher than timber, I measured about 60 degrees with my infra red temp gun on our hottest day. Everyone who has seen it is very impressed with the finished result and so am I.
    Hi Mini,
    Since you have used Modwood Decking for at least 2 and 1/2 years now, can you please give us your feedback how you feel about Modwood decking product. I am thinking of using Modwood decking (Hollow 88x23) for our place in Melbourne. We liked the Modwood product very much but don't have enough confidence about the reliability of this product and couldn't find anyone for real feedback. So if you please give us some feedback then it will be highly appreciated. Thanks,

Hardy

I've used Correctdeck. It's been laid for about 8mths and considering it has and is still taking a lot of builders traffic it still looks like new.

Each board is quite heavy. It was about $78 for 4.88m board so its not cheap. I went for the fixing between the boards onto steel framework.

Hi rod<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    Thanks for your feedback on Correctdeck. I'm also considering using this product instead of Jarrah. My application will be beneath a veranda, but as we'll be adjacent the beach, facing west, I expect it will receive a fair amount of afternoon sun. Can you tell me how the deck goes with temperature retention? I've read similar products can become quite hot.
    <o></o>
    Admittedly, the product is on the pricey side, but I suppose it's offset by the reduced maintenance.<o></o>

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by ldello View Post
    Hi rodfficeffice" /><O></O>
    Thanks for your feedback on Correctdeck. I'm also considering using this product instead of Jarrah. My application will be beneath a veranda, but as we'll be adjacent the beach, facing west, I expect it will receive a fair amount of afternoon sun. Can you tell me how the deck goes with temperature retention? I've read similar products can become quite hot.
    <O></O>
    Admittedly, the product is on the pricey side, but I suppose it's offset by the reduced maintenance.<O></O>

Lou
    Lou,

Our deck is the alfresco area which is under the main roof of the house. The deck gets the morning sun up until mid morning. To be honest I've never noticed its retention of heat so therefore I can only assume it dosen't. We've got temperatures over 30 all this week and weekend so I'll report back to you next Tuesday (I don't have a computer at home).

See ya

After seeing my Uncles composite deck, i can't understand why anyone would do it. Perhaps it's just his, but it was really scuffed from traffic/chairs/etc and looked like a plastic deck. He was boasting that it only took a few hours to install and is immune to the effects of the pool, but why wouldn't you put in pavers. I reckon that if you want a deck it's because you like the look and feel. I can't see that composite can come close to real decking.

Just my rant. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by rod1949 View Post
    Lou,

Our deck is the alfresco area which is under the main roof of the house. The deck gets the morning sun up until mid morning. To be honest I've never noticed its retention of heat so therefore I can only assume it dosen't. We've got temperatures over 30 all this week and weekend so I'll report back to you next Tuesday (I don't have a computer at home).

See ya
    Lou,
    As promised, I placed a piece of Correct deck out in the sun over the last week/weekend with a thermometer along side it. The thermometer got up to 57 degrees (yes that’s right, its always hotter out in the direct sun than the weather mob’s temperature which they take in the shade). I was able to pick up the piece of Correct deck and hold it quite comfortably. It had heat in it but then so did the piece of hardwood (Duran) that I had along side. On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being cold I would place it at about 6.

Another option that someone mentioned recently (we're in the process of planning a deck 12m x 3m) is concrete sheeting, which can then be polished apparently. In the right setting I guess it could look pretty schmick, but we're going for local sawn hardwood.

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.