Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Science Buffs

Quote; (That is why I laugh at "Climate Change", our planet has been changing since day 1, whenever that was. We are now, simply in a better, technological manner, able to record the daily events of earth and broadcast these events in real time around the planet.
    Yes we have climate change, but earth always has.

Hope you get a good answer to your question.)

Laugh away Paul. Welcome to the anthropocene - the age of man. Not only is the climate of the planet changing several thousand times faster than ever before but the sixth great extinction event is well under way. Half a century of study and data collection by several million of the best educated and trained human beings the world has ever produced (scientists) has left absolutely no doubt that our burning of fossil fuels has increased the co2 in the atmosphere thus causing global warming and climate change.
    The good news for you is that you might just be dead before the full horror dawns on the mass of the human race. That will be when the collapse of agriculture worldwide runs into the unsustainable human population and literally billions will die.
    I am predicting extreme militarism, state fascism and probably a resort to cannibalism. It will be like a cross between the collapse of the Maoris and the siege of Leningrad.
    The bad news will be that your grandkids will be stuck right in the thick of it and the peace and prosperity of the twentieth century will seem like a far-off fairy tale to them. Hope you get a chuckle out of this.

Climate change has been done to death on this and numerous other Forums.

Please keep to the topic in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by underfoot View Post
    Yep..sure does...overcrowding, overuse of resources, destruction of the natural environment, poverty, famine etc etc...it's a weighty problem...but won't add weight.
    why not?

Won,t add weight because the earth is a contained system. Things leaving like say spacecraft detract weight. Things coming in like cosmic dust, asteroids will add weight.

Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    why not?
    Your right, stop breathing, your using up valuable resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker Len View Post
    Won,t add weight because the earth is a contained system. Things leaving like say spacecraft detract weight. Things coming in like cosmic dust, asteroids will add weight.
    The earth is far from a contained system. It leaks like a sieve as it hurtles through space leaving behind a trail of debris mainly gasses and some dust. As the quote in my previous post says it loses 90 odd thousand tons of Hydrogen alone each year.

Global warming increases mass because it reduces the amount of energy radiating off into space. Just raising the worlds ocean temp by 1ºC effectively will add ~65,000 tons to the mass of the earth.

Despite this, overall it loses about 50,000 tons a year.

Quote Originally Posted by _fly_ View Post
    Your right, stop breathing, your using up valuable resources.
    The context behind my reply is as follows:

As the population of the world grows, it does use resources but as previously stated, the consumption of resources still produces waste / bi products equal to the original resource.
    However, by the creation of new life, there is actually an increase in mass as a total entity of the world.

However, I do try to keep chivalry alive, so, lead on McDuff and after you good sir.......

However, by the creation of new life, there is actually an increase in mass as a total entity of the world.
    The creation of increased amounts of life has not of itself directly added mass. e.g. when the worlds uninhabited lands were first covered by massive forests it would not have significantly changed the mass of the earth. All that happens is some of the carbon in the CO2 and carbonates moved into cellulose in the wood. However, going from a few hundred million to billions of people (all expecting to all live a first world lifestyle) appears to have caused changes in the atmosphere which disturbs the energy balance of the planet reducing the energy loss into outer space. The increase in the total energy content of the planet means it indirectly adds weight. But overall there are significant losses of gas from the planet that means we are still losing mass.

The context behind my reply is as follows:

As the population of the world grows, it does use resources but as previously stated, the consumption of resources still produces waste / bi products equal to the original resource.

However, I do try to keep chivalry alive, so, lead on McDuff and after you good sir.......
    And every new life is being made from the resources available. Resources are being used in the form of a life, we are 70% water that comes from water, the calcium comes from calcium etc etc. Its is being taken from somewhere else on the earth. It does not magically appear.
    And from my point of view, god didn't do it either.

Further to Fly's comment, you are aware that you breathe the air Jesus, Mohamed, Hitler etc breathed? The Odds That You'll Breathe a Single Molecule of Air That Once Traveled Through the Lungs of Jesus. - Rees Sloan's column on Newsvine

The earth is primarily a closed system and apart from leakage and dust arriving from space the mass doesnt change that much. Hence my interest in the Higgs bosun. If this announcement is for real all we need to know is if it bounces in and out of reality as do other particles. This may affect the theoretical mass.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan56 View Post
    Further to Fly's comment, you are aware that you breathe the air Jesus, Mohamed, Hitler etc breathed? The Odds That You'll Breathe a Single Molecule of Air That Once Traveled Through the Lungs of Jesus. - Rees Sloan's column on Newsvine

The earth is primarily a closed system and apart from leakage and dust arriving from space the mass doesnt change that much. Hence my interest in the Higgs bosun. If this announcement is for real all we need to know is if it bounces in and out of reality as do other particles. This may affect the theoretical mass.
    Does that mean there's a chance that I breathed something that came from the other end as well??
    I know its a much smaller chance but maybe one of them???

Quote Originally Posted by _fly_ View Post
    Does that mean there's a chance that I breathed something that came from the other end as well??
    I know its a much smaller chance but maybe one of them???
    Not only their other end but from their decayed bodies as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Not only their other end but from their decayed bodies as well.
    Terrific, I can now say I'm part Vampire......
    Kids will be thrilled cos they are as well..

Wot Toymaker Len said. each day the earth is bombarded by space dust or really small meteorites. This must add to the earths' weight.

TT
    Learning to make big bits of wood smaller......

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Tenon View Post
    Wot Toymaker Len said. each day the earth is bombarded by space dust or really small meteorites. This must add to the earths' weight.

TT
    It does add weight, but from what BobL said it is not enough to compensate for the "leakage' of low density gases. 40,000t in; 90,000t out.

Fundamentally the earth's system is contained (apart from the aforementioned leaks) so the creation of a child, a plant or a tree does not add weight as each of them has to consume earthly ingredients to grow.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"