Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LOL.

Yeah, my mother called them breadboard hands. And getting a thumb splint fitted yesterday the hand therapist estimated wrong at the first try and muttered something about a big thumb.

Right hand used to be able to squeeze 70kg before I broke the wrist. Now down to 52

I'm happy to turn a new set of shave handles. Haven't studied Alf's instructions closely but will look at dual axis turning first.

Missed last year's woodshow Ian; prob a good thing overall cos each visit shrinks the size of the shed
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    Missed last year's woodshow Ian; prob a good thing overall cos each visit shrinks the size of the shed
    Yer - funny how it does that, Ern.

My problem's solved - shed full.

But there were several sheets of iron left over from that verandah renno, which would go a long way to making an annexe............

Hmmmmm...
    IW

Good idea.

We turners often get offered a lopped tree trunk, and my drive has piles of sealed blanks under tarps. Not the best but there's no room in the shed anymore.

Re which, there's a new law of physics for woodies that I've formulated: it takes fewer calories to get matter into the shed than to get it out ;-}

Yes, spooky is the right word for Rob's ghostly presence.

And yes, I love the totes on V. BU planes. Sooo nice to ageing paws.

Anticipating a tax refund I stumped up for the V. BU jointer and fence and it's definitely one of those tools you make friends with. And the blade back is already lapped so back and bevel just need some quick polishing and the results are magic.

And while you're reading Rob how about offering the current shipping discount to overseas non-US states as well?
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    (snip)
    And while you're reading Rob how about offering the current shipping discount to overseas non-US states as well?
    Hi -

Ah...

That's not so easy to do. You see, when we get an overseas inquiry - we actually pick it weigh it, and quote actual shipping. A very large percentage of the time - we then put it all back into stock....

It's something we try not to encourage!

Cheers -

Rob
    (Off to Perth ....... Ontario, that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi -

Ah...

That's not so easy to do. You see, when we get an overseas inquiry - we actually pick it weigh it, and quote actual shipping. A very large percentage of the time - we then put it all back into stock....

It's something we try not to encourage!

Cheers -

Rob
    (Off to Perth ....... Ontario, that is)
    I agree that offering a 100% OS postage discount would be madness.

But how about deducting the postage that you would pay to send the parcel to the furtherest of the lower 48 states - at least that way the rest of the world isn't discriminated against. I reckon you would reduce the number of those parcels that got put back on the shelves enough to more than cover the discount.

Perhaps you could give that discount to the definite buyers only - ie the customer gives up the right to cancel for postage in return for the discount.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

The current temp discount to the non-contiguous states is $16 Jeremy. My request was a little tongue in cheek.

I take Rob's point about the labour intensity of quoting shipping.
    Cheers, Ern

I take my body weight in kgs (and I am solid) double it and if freight comes in under that I'm happy so I like Erns idea, if was to get an unexpected discount of anything once I said I was buying I would be more than greatful. Or if you're a past good buyer maybe a points system. I get a fair discount from LN for my past numerous purchases.
    Mind you Rob is in business to make a profit.
    PS. that fast service an free spares is covered too.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

IIRC one of the few items from LV that I asked for a quote on but didn't go ahead with was for a V. #6. Shipping was going to be about $60 which isn't unreasonable. When our buck is buying all of 84c US however the mail-order equation starts to hurt.
    Cheers, Ern

US postage is, or seems to be far more expensive than any other countries. But Rob shouldn't have to loose profit either, unless he is willing to do so. Don't think I'm taking the high ground he either Ern, I'm just chatting. I did like your idea about the definate buyer getting a few bucks off. I would never say no to it

Since this post started out about good service, I would just like to add my "Great Job LV". I have made a few large international orders and LV has supplied great service and support and handles any problems promptly along with the afore mentioned service. While sometimes I might be able to get something a little cheaper somewhere else I just don't bother. I am a happy customer and appreciate great customer support, especially as an international buyer. LV and LN have been good experiences. A couple other US companies, I am not so keen on. Products are good but service was not great. I could not get a reply to any emails, and am still waiting for one order to come.

So, Rob, if you have what I want, I'll be getting it through you.

Rob

Oh yeh thats what we're talkin about, one week to the day from ordering (in cluding a weekend) and my concave spokie is at my door, I slice open the carton rat out the box holding my new toy. I open the box take out the shave, put a piece of Blackwood in the vice and pull,,, a beautiful thin shaving curls from the mouth. No adjustment, no sharpening, straight out of the box. I will give the edge a little polish. My first instant impression of the handles while being petite, were very sweet. I found the the round handles let the edge find it's own way and all I had to do was pull gently.
    So for straight out of the box, Rob it's a GEM. I'm sure once I get to know her she will feel even better.

Send the shave back CH.

The convex ones work a lot better ;-}
    Cheers, Ern

NO. Hi Ern, I can see how with big hands the larger handles would be better. I realy see these units not so much as work horses, more as trimming and finishing tools so I shouldn't need big grips for a lot of pull. I am very happy with mine anyway

Claw - you really do need both flat & convex shaves. You really do!

I agree with you that these shaves are suited to fine cuts that don't require a lot of grunt, so you don't need huge handles to hang on to, as a rule. I also find both the Veritas shaves work better for me in most situations, pushed rather than pulled. The two thumb rests help you to snuggle them into your hands, and makes for an easy, natural action. I was a 'puller' for years with my old Stanley 150s, but switched to pushing some time before I got my first Veritas shave. They also have thumb rests cast into the body, of course, but they are more awkward to hold that way for me, & it took a bit of struggling to convert. The Stanleys don't like to just sit on the job & cut as well as the Veritas shaves do, either, you sometimes have to use a bit of force to keep them engaged & cutting.

I managed to get my two Veritas shaves at good prices when the $ was riding high, & they were great buys. Never regretted splashing out on the pair.

Cheers,
    IW

Ian, you put up a compelling argument, I am sure you're right, so as soon as I have a few spare bucks I'll have one and jettison the the stanleys ( I have a 51 SW and an old 151)