Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Just reading this and my birds started to scream. So out i go and I found another damn brown snake a bit smaller than the one that killed our dog a few weeks back. this makes 3 browns in just on 5 weeks. mate of mine ai a snake catcher and is on he way out to see if he can grab it. i wasn't quck enough with the shovel and its dissapered on me.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

G'day.

My Grandfather used to use a saucer of milk with sulfur mixed in it.
    The RB blacks would swell up and die in no time.
    Seen it work with my own eyes.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Shane,
    Asked a couple of Zoologists today and the green ones are likely Dugite and the brown a python. All will bite of course but Dougie the Dugite will make you feel a bit crook - well a lot crook.
    Dugites have a lot of variation in colour so as long as it is not a bright green then this is the most likely species without other features to identify it.
    If it is bright green then somebodies private reptile collection has gone for a stroll or standing behind it is a pink elephant and it is time for you to hit the detox clinic.
    Oh yeah remove the food source and problem gone.
    Cheers,
    Rod

The solution: send Wongo an airline ticket to come & visit you - he wants a holiday & is a good cook. Seems snake tastes a lot like cat (or Crocodile)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Did I NOT say DONT TELL ME!!!

And there yer go tellin me! Man its bloody hard sometimes

1) I have snakes in me shed
    2) I dont like snakes
    3) I dont CARE what type of snake they are
    4) I WANT THEM GONE!!!

gawd shyte mates I dont want to know... see if I know what they are they may be harmless... then the hoons are gonna wanna name em... then they'll get attached to them... then when I kill them which I will do if someone doesnt come get the sods the hoonberrys will hate me!

I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW!!!

an here I thought yous mob were me mates too
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Here you go, here is a list of snake removers for WA.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/WASABUST-2.htm
    Cheers,
    Rod

Gday guys,

I keep over 150 snakes, mainly venomous species. I co-own a business called Educational Reptile Displays.

There are snake catchers in every part of Australia. Most of their contact details can be found on the internet. If not, call your local National Parks and Wildlife office or even the police. They will be able to put you in contact with someone.

As someone mentioned earlier, all Australian snakes are protected and deserve one thing - respect. Snakes do not attack, they do not chase people, and they are not aggressive. The reason there are snakes in your shed is because you have created a perfect environment for them. Clean up a bit, get rid of the rodent problem, and the snakes will move on.

There have been some very ignorant comments in this thread, as per usual. Most peoples fear is based off lack of knowledge. People fear what they don't know.

Snakes will not drink milk - they are lactose intolerant.

Cheers,

Jonno

Default Snake Removal

Wild D,
    Phone the local Vet;
    they 'usually' know the local Wildlife Keepers/Carers and Snake charmers etc.

Out here People [read farmers] are most often glad to have Montys in their Sheds
    Navvi

Jonno L

Your statement about all snakes being protected infers you are not allowed to kill nuisance snakes. The legistlation was drawn up to protect snakes and other species from reptile collectors collecting and selling native species.

The law is pragmatic on this issue and I can't see a person being prosecuted for dealing with a snake in their back yard.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Hi dingo
    i just sent you a greenie that is the best snake yarn i have read in ages
    if you want to eat them dont cook straight away as the snake muscles have not had time to relax and they do a rap dance in your frypan when you put them in (they taste like chicken)
    best wishes in solving your problem
    greg

Quote Originally Posted by rodm View Post
    Jonno L

Your statement about all snakes being protected infers you are not allowed to kill nuisance snakes. The legistlation was drawn up to protect snakes and other species from reptile collectors collecting and selling native species.

The law is pragmatic on this issue and I can't see a person being prosecuted for dealing with a snake in their back yard.

I like the term "nuisance" snakes. On the contrary, I think we should refer to ourselves as "nuisance humans".

The WA legislation you refer to was brought in a few years ago, as it was the only state/territory in Australia that didn't have a permit system for the keeping of native Australian reptiles (it was deemed illegal). They now have a draconian system involving various species that can be collected for the pet trade, with no restriction on numbers and massive fee's for anyone who actually breeds any species - it is simply another government based revenue raiser with little regard for wildlife management. It is responsible for the local extinction of species such as the Stimsons Python.

Whilst most of the laws relating to venomous snakes do have a clause which allow someone to dispatch them if the person or bystanders are in danger (this makes no sense to me), this is very much open to interpretation. People have been prosecuted in QLD for unecessarily killing snakes.

The Northern Territory has a fantastic system where they provide the community with a free snake catcher. The catcher gets paid a small fee, but the bonus is that any animals they catch on call outs, they get to retain and sell into the pet trade. This is a fantastic example of the sustainable use of wildlife.

Good read Johno,

The bloke that came out to see if he could grab the snake here on monday just gone was telling me there is no real insentive for snake catchers. in fact he even claimed that many will not come out if you tell them that the snake could be a brown as they do not want to mess with it. I now keep a number of items here at home for just in case I come across a snake that wants to hang around. i have had enough of them after losing a loved family pet last month and I am happy for them to be relocated or dispatched. Either way it makes little difference to me.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Gday Bluegum,

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say that the snake catcher was named John, has long hair and owns a reptile shop?

You're right about there been little incentive for us snake catchers. First of all you have to put up with all the stories of people killing snakes, and the storytellers get all uppity when you give them a bit of a mouthful. Secondly, they think that we don't need to put food on the table, or it doesn't cost us anything to drive 45 minutes to their house to catch a carpet python, because they really don't like it when I say "That'll be $100 thanks, ma'am". They'd have no problems forking over a few hundred for a plumber or sparky to come out in an emergency, but they really hate it when we ask for a bit of compensation.

But we still do it!

Cheers,

Jonno

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno L View Post
    Snakes do not attack, they do not chase people, and they are not aggressive.
    Jonno,

That comment sounds like a kneejerk reaction to some earlier posts in this thread .

Snakes will attack, snakes have been known to "chase" a person and snakes can be aggressive............however, this is not the norm and is usually the result of the snake feeling threatened, unfortunately the vast majority of people have little real knowledge and rely on the plethora of urban myths regarding snakes and their behaviour.

About 6 weeks ago we caught and bagged a 2ft red belly in a local shopping centre car park, the only logical way it could have got there was to have been up under a car, a couple of calls to Nat Parks and a local snake catcher confirmed that possibility, anyways, the next day I released it well out in the bush where it had a better chance to survive. However, in different circumstances I might just have easily sent the little bugger off to meet God.

Many years ago on the family property, an uncle shared his workshed with a bloody big carpet snake (a long term resident), he knew it's habits and liked having it around but God help any black or brown that ever tried to get too close.........my grandfather's 12 gauge was always nearby .

I'm sorry but if something capable of killing one of my kids comes within cooee of my house, as they have done in the past, then I'll have absolutely no hesitation in rendering it as dog food, protected, misunderstood, or otherwise. I'll sort the ethical dilema out later after it's dead. You can call me what you like but I don't give venomous creatures the benefit of the doubt.