Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Any idea what the power consumption is for an average dishwasher?

I have lived in houses with them and never used them. They kind of fit into the clothes drier category for me. Just another appliance to fix/replace when broken and a waste of power. I dont see the need for one when the alternative is a pretty simple task.

I've sold (and used) most brands over the years. Ignore the "wash better and use less water by hand washing" brigade, they either haven't used one or have used a bad one. There is NO WAY hand washing is better or more water efficient than a good dishwasher (carbon footprint may be another matter..).

At the moment ignore energy ratings. Due to the way these machines are currently rated this information is largely irrelevant. Water rating is important, though a machine you really like which uses a litre or so more than the next best wins for my money. A bit of a run-down on brands (forgive me if I miss your favourite)

Dishdrawers: if you have a physical problem and want to mount two at the upper level, go for it. Otherwise, there are much better machines (and companies) for the money. IMHO!

Dishlex: Now made in Poland, a very good machine for the money. Not the quietest, not the most efficient but possibly the best value and service.(Note, not talking about the older model with the feed tube for the upper arm in the centre of the top basket)

Meile: very good machine, quiet, good cycle choice, overpriced. If you can get one at a VERY special price (say 30% off) worthwhile.

Bosch: better priced and reliable version of the Meile (but don't buy their lower range models, either fork out for the mid-upper range or go Dishlex)

Asko: great machines! Average service. (depends in which state, NSW is apparently good).

Smeg: quiet, excellent for dirty pots & pans (extra lower wash arm), good features and service. Again, don't buy the lower range Models.

Bottom line is all of the above (and others) are good machines, choice depends upon perspective (speaking of which I wouldn't trust Choice magazine to suggest a good anything! Absolutely the worst criteria in almost every field!)

One last point, don't bother with hot water connection. Not worth the problems, almost no benefit (despite what the salesperson says).

as always, only an opinion!

Cheers,

Mark
    silkwood

i would love to have a dishwasher, esspecially now with my wife on a exersise kick, she is now walking home from work so im cooking and doing the dishes for the family, of a weekend i do the dishes on average 5 times a day, simply to clear the dishes off the bench. I do have one but it is just in storage at the moment cause were i am renting we have no dish space. i have thought about just running the pipes through the servery section and use cable covers to run the pipes through, only trouble would be trying to get the real estate to agree with it. Some how i don't think the would.

Quote Originally Posted by silkwood View Post
    Meile: very good machine, quiet, good cycle choice, overpriced. If you can get one at a VERY special price (say 30% off) worthwhile.
    The only reason I'll disagree with that is because the last Miele dishwasher my parents had was bought in 1987 and they only got rid of it 2 (2006) years ago when they left it in their old house...blew one capacitor in that time, and the inlet valve went just before they sold.

They have an Asko now, wonder if it'll last as long
    Semtex fixes all