Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default re laying carpet ... can it be done?

Quick question. Im intending to rip up my carpet and sand my boards ... if the neighbours down stairs complain to strata about the noise and I have to put soft floorings back down, can i re lay the carpet I have ripped up (which is less than 18 mnths old)?
    Thanks.
    A

If you are careful lifting the carpet and the underlay then it is possible but unlikely that it will ever look as good. If you are worried about noise, maybe a floating timber floor over some underlay might be a better idea.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Good to know, i will remove carefully ... I have nice old (1920s-30s) boards under the carpet so would like to let them shine ... there are another 2 in the complex who have done it with no complaints so Im willing to take a gamble ... just would like to have a contingency plan.

I owned a commercial carpet buiness which i have just sold and pull ups and relays are done every day. What you will need if you relay the carpet is new carpet grippers and the carpet needs to relayed by a carpet installer

Quote Originally Posted by BDM View Post
    I owned a commercial carpet buiness which i have just sold and pull ups and relays are done every day. What you will need if you relay the carpet is new carpet grippers and the carpet needs to relayed by a carpet installer
    wise words here as carpet is actually "stretched" back into place using a specific tool for the job, sure you can make up a tool to do it, but trust me on this, let the pro's do it, they wont rip the carpet putting it back in place, even an 18 month old carpet could tear .....

This what you will need to do. If the underlay is foam you may need new underlay has foam underlay is stapled to the floor and when you pull it up it falls apart, if its rubber you can reuse it. I only ever used rubber underlay in all our commercial projects its the best. You will also need a knee kicker,or a bull dog, dont use them if you have never used one,new carpet grippers or smooth edge they hold the carpet in place around the edge of the wall and and about 5 other small every day tools

My final advise before you pull up the carpet make sure you are its ok to sand the floor, relaying carpet the secound time is not a good a when it the carpet is new.