Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Fire Bricks in Perth for Pizza Oven

Hello Chaps,

Planning on building my DIY Pizza oven as part of backyard renos over the xmas hols and have been reading alot about it on the net.

Question - does anyone know where I can source new or second hand firebricks in Perth area. There's heaps of mining activity etc in WA, so there must be a bulk supplier somewhere.

Also I have read that White solid house bricks are also a good alternative in the construction, any reports on these??

Cheers

DC

Hello Damon,I'm a long way from where you are, but when working over in Perth a few months ago, we used a solid pressed brick as window sills which might be alright to use in a firebox .They were a white brick from Midland Bricks.I know they aren't refractory bricks as such but we use a similiar brick (solid pressed)for inside fireboxes etc here in Wagga and they are still holding up well in some cases many years later.I know a pizza oven will generate higher temps than a conventional open fireplace so it might pay to get further info, but because of the fairly low useage of a pizza oven I think you might be right to go that way.If not here are the contact details of a fellow over your way.
    Ian Mears, (deleted/ 0414 885 337)
    Mears Refractory Services pty ltd.
    Unit 3
    9 Corokia Way
    Bibra Lake
    Perth WA
    I'm also looking into building a pizza oven in my backyard soon.So will be interested in your progress.Looking back on it now I should have built it in to the side of the open fire (pictured in previous thread/Backyard fireplaces)that I did last summer.Let me know how you go after you finish it.Do you have plans to follow?They can be fairly complex or pretty simple depending on which way you prefer to go.Regards Terry.
    Last edited by RufflyRustic; 6th December 2006 at 09:36 AM. Reason: home phone number removed

Mine is showing some signs of wear on the tiles used for the base of the oven, they have cracked in the mouth of the oven and will need replacing. The bricks themselves are fine but the render has developed a few cracks which need to be filled but that has settled down. Next work will be to brick in the base, render and then Mosaic the lot.

G/day Benny,I'd love to have a look at your pizza oven,do you have any pictures?I am also interested in doing one in my backyard but my wife is not quite convinced.We did an outdoor fireplace last year and we do use that a good bit.It is under the pergola and is sheltered but the oven would be more exposed.Does yours work well (how long to cook a pizza etc?)I also noticed that you are into the mosaics now.You are doing a great job on them (I looked at the pics a few days ago)Coincidentally I am also doing a few "rough"mosaics myself but nowhere near the standard that you are.I just grab some leftovers from the jobsites and knock something up out of that .I stick them on to some sheetflooring that is also left over (love making things from junk)They look alright hanging out the back under the pergola.Regards Terry

If you are interested this is a good site showing how to build a pizza oven

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/garden/...690891,00.html

Mine was already there when I bought the house, it was done by the previous owner who was a bit rough, hence the need to tidy it up. I'll chase up some pics. Takes about 8 to 10 mins but about 4 hrs of prep to get it hot and the coals to die down etc. Roast Lamb is perfect in 50 mins.

It has a temp roof which I will tear down.

I am currently in the planning stages for a pizza oven and am using a very useful book:

Your brick oven:building it and baking in it
    by Russell Jeavons
    Wakefield Press

This guy is located in McLaren Vale SA and he gives heaps of info.

I got it from my local library, but it is also in the bookshops.

Hope that helps.

Default Here's mine

Sorry an old pic when we had just moved in. The tree is long gone as it showed signs of a fire caused by the oven. Very Rustic (no offence Wuffly) sadly still in need of the above mods plus a hinged door.

I, too, am considering the want of an oven and need to take some care of radiated outside heat. I imagine there is not much but would someone confirm the outer temperature, of a well insulated oven, will not cause burning/start any fire, please?
    By way of explanation, I have mentally disabled persons to consider.

soth

The outer temp of mine is not dangerous, the fire was caused by the moving of coals outside the oven I think as we had a pizza day there with the previous owner and that was his practice.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Do a google on pizza ovens wood fired, there is a lot out there, including a double layered structure, a brick oven with an outer brick housing.
    Mud brick is also an option using a concrete base, fill with river sand, shape, cover with plastic sheet and render or brick and render over.
    I am also looking to build one.
    There is also a fire brick supplier in Greensborough (Vic) who have a website
    www.consolidatedrefractories.com.au
    Have a bit of a look.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

DIY Ovens (Perth Based)

http://www.diypizzaovens.com.au/

Check out the pottery supply places.