Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I do plenty of things that the safety inspector would shoot me for, I feel quite comfortable doing them and will continue to do them. I've spent a lot of my life around sharp and or otherwise dangerous bits of machinery. However I would never recomend my methods to others and when training people I have always shown the "by the book" safe way of doing it. When people have got enough experience it's okay to show them more advanced/different techniques which may have more inherent risk, however unless you are able to assess their level of competence this is unwise. I think anyone that demonstrates anything at all on TV (ie home/garden makeover type shows with tools and machinery) has an obligation to demonstrate extremely safe work practices. As a matter of fact, in this litigious day and age, I reckon you'd be a mug not to.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

rrich Guest

Well, three inches is about 75mm right?

Well, maybe on 75mm stock it's OK. And I've got this 50mm piece, that should be OK. And there is this rough piece that is 25mm, I'll just be careful...

Point is, where does it stop and when do you start using push blocks? Where does one become complacent to the detriment of ones fingers?

How long are your fingers......and how long do you want them to stay?
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

rrich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    However I would never recomend my methods to others and when training people I have always shown the "by the book" safe way of doing it.
    Exactly as it should be! You have to walk before you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    I think anyone that demonstrates anything at all on TV (ie home/garden makeover type shows with tools and machinery) has an obligation to demonstrate extremely safe work practices.
    Mick
    Yes! It reminds me of a bad redneck joke.
    What are the last words a redneck says? "Hey, y'all watch this."

And in the opening credits there is a shot of a cross cut sled being used with a stop block to the right of the blade. The user is holding the cut off from kicking back with a pencil. It's a small, thin piece of wood to be used as a loose tenon. Every time I see it, I'm thinking "Why not a hand saw?"

Default Business shirt

I know this is older thread but I just had to add that David Marks wears a long sleeve shirt because DIY Network wanted him to cover up his tatoos...yup tatoos. I cant remember exactly but they supposedly say something dealing with metal as in classic rock.

Just thought I'd say,
    Ryan C

When to use push stciks is a matter of assessing the risk. I do use them at times when I think I am at risk. Probaly no hard and fast rule I would think.
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

Moonta Bay in the Copper Triangle, S. Australia

Default I saw one today

I think I'll stick with just my scroll saw, sandpaper and a mostly empty shed bereft of machines, with all my fingers and thumbs.
    Buzza.

"All those who believe in psycho kinesis . . . raise my hand".