Default When are you going to retire?

Found this on Frank Klausz's website

Question - When are you going to retire?
    Frank - I make sawdust, travel a lot and go fishing.
    Which one do you want me to quit???

Happy Woodworking,

-- Frank Klausz.

I like his attitude
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

This is a good place to come for retirement? When it's dry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/webcams/torquay_webcam.shtml
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Good place to visit - England is too grey and damp for me
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

I looked at all the cams, Ive never seen so much rain.

Al

Yep I reckon we filled our reservoirs this month so the visitors are welcome again.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

What do you retire from? Woodwork? or whatever you do to keep you sane. Then what do you do? Wait to die? I have no plans to retire from anything although I am old enough. I still feel about 25 years old and get a shock when I look in the mirror and see an old guy looking back at me. I still go sailing competitivley ( as a crewman ), I go abalone and scollop diving, fishing, hunting, power boating. Hell! Just realised why I don't get some of my projects done. See, I can't retire, too much to do.
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

Quote Originally Posted by ernknot
    What do you retire from? Woodwork? or whatever you do to keep you sane. Then what do you do? Wait to die? I have no plans to retire from anything although I am old enough. I still feel about 25 years old and get a shock when I look in the mirror and see an old guy looking back at me. I still go sailing competitivley ( as a crewman ), I go abalone and scollop diving, fishing, hunting, power boating. Hell! Just realised why I don't get some of my projects done. See, I can't retire, too much to do.
    No mention of the ladies I see
    woody U.K.

'Retired' about a year ago. Went to a work do today and saw the miserable faces of those who are still inmates. Then they asked me what I'm doing now, and I worked out I'm actually working more hours now than before I retired. The difference is that I'm enjoying what I do, and don't have to drive up & down Pennant Hills Rd. or catch a train into the city to do it.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Default Me too!

"Retired" in March.

I've always stoutly maintained that I will never retire because I don't want to sit on my @rse and do nothing. Now I'm in my own (consultancy) business. This is the first time since leaving full-time education that I haven't been an employee.

Since March I reckon I've worked an average of 20 hours per week. This compares to at least 60 and frequently more like 80 hours per week in my old career. Some weeks I've worked pretty hard, some I've spent doing things that don't earn money at all. However, overall I'm making at least as much money as I used to. I'm working mostly from home so I see more of my lovely wife. I can pick and choose when I work and what I work on.

It's bloody great!

Retirement? No - I reckon that would be boring. But the present mix of work and leisure time seems pretty good to me. And I agree with Alex - the expressions on the faces on my old colleagues are no great advertisement for that life.

Having made that last remark I should add, on reflection, that I probably wouldn't appreciate my present situation half as much if I hadn't experienced the old daily grind. Furthermore, up until about three years ago, when I reckon I started to go a bit stale, I thoroughly enjoyed my old job.

Col
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

I'm in my own (consultancy) business ... I reckon I've worked an average of 20 hours per week ... overall I'm making at least as much money as I used to.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Well,

If Johnnie Howard has his way I'll be working till I'm 75 and then get zero assistance from the govt after outrageous taxes to cover for the pensions of all you baby boomers!

Seriously though, if I could set up my own consultancy and work a few days per week (to cover expenses) from my luthierie or studio down south somewhere, I reckon I'd be happy man. That'd be retirement.

We have an road engineer workign with us who is 78 and still works a 30hour week. Well, 25 if you count the afternoon snoozes
    Cheers,

Adam

------------------------------------------

I can cure you of your Sinistrophobia

Quote Originally Posted by LineLefty
    Well,

If Johnnie Howard has his way I'll be working till I'm 75 and then get zero assistance from the govt after outrageous taxes to cover for the pensions of all you baby boomers!
    I know you don't really want to argue this point but, just in case you change your mind, I'm ready when you are, boyo!
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

I took semi retirement when I was 32 years of age, honest.

Just gave up keeping up with the Jones and haven't regretted it.
    woody U.K.

The day I die. Spent my youth playing and traveling more than saving so probably won't have enough to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by MathewA
    so probably won't have enough to retire.
    Read an interview once with a very old Rockerfella fella, who when asked when he was going to retire, he replied:

"When I have enough money."

Pressed further about how much money that might be, he replied:

"Just a little bit more."

P