Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Moving internal gas water heater out?

Right, next question. I know I CAN move a gas water heater outside (just a sledgehammer required). The Q is, can I move it out without compromising its function, efficiency etc etc? OK, it's marked internal for a reason, maybe this, can I move it outside and convince it that it is actually still inside? Maybe a radio to keep it company in the wee hours. Seriously folks, does it depend on the type, age? If I can indeed do this (without stuffing it), should it be up on a slab, uncovered, covered, tucked in with a self-heated cup of tea? Bear with me people, but I tell ya what, these cold tablets are great...

Cheers
    I read the instructions! It's still upside down...

Programmer

I am not sure about moving a internal to an external position. There might be fluing problems.

I have an internal which is about 25 years old and on it's last legs even though it may last a few more years. I am sure if I moved it, that would be the end of it's life.

In the near future or when it goes to it's maker I will install an external Bosch instantaneous.

The point I am getting at is these days the best you would probably get out of a internal water heater is 5 or so years, so unless it is newish then buy one made for the job.

Daniel
    My advice is rarely any good, but is free to use at your own risk.

If it is an external heater, it may be OK to move it inside (flueing issues need to be considered). Moving an internal heater outside will be more difficult as it may not be as well insulated nor waterproof.

Perhaps you could move it outside and enclose it in some kind of cladding, box etc to keep the weather off?

Cheers

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

With electric whater heaters, the outside rating relates to resistance to corrosion because of the weather, so you can remedy with a bit of shelter. With gas, the flame must be protected from the wind and the flue, approrpiate. I am sure the changes necessary are minimal but to know exactly what to do, the best is to consult a plumber or plumbing supplier.
    “We often contradict an opinion for no other reason
    than that we do not like the tone in which it is expressed.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

Programmer,
    I agree with the others, an internal heater will not have any/much weather protection built in. As for flues, I would have thought an internal one would have provision for flueing while the external gas heater we have does not have any, it relies on being exposed to get rid of the carbon monoxide etc.

I would move it outside and then box it in while still allowing good airflow around it, both from the top and bottom. Ensure that the flame, including the pilot light is protected from wind gusts. A bit of thermal insulation would probably help it's effientcy as well. (that is spelt wrong i know but I can't be bothered walking inside to get the dictionary)

Jon

I would ditch the first unless it is near new and go with a quality new external unit.... I tried doing what you suggest several years ago and had to build an enclosure, plus the pilot seemed to want to go out whenever there was anything more than a stiff breeze
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here