Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by IOAC View Post
    The best style of frame will depend on how it fits, as every face is different. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? I could let you know the nearest suppliers to you. Each optometrist has slightly different mark ups, but I could work out a price for you based on our RRP. We find it best if you work through an optometrist, because they will help you find the best fit frame, and will be able to measure up the bifocal segments and pupil distance to give you the best vision, and tailor the script to you if you have slight differences between eyes or to best accommodate your working distance. If you feel that you wanted to buy directly from us, I could speak to my manager to see if that was a possibility, but you will always get optimal fit and visual acuity if a qualified Optometrist and Dispenser handle the measurements in person.

Jessica
    Jessica
    I have no problem with your company prefering to work through an optometrist for the reasons stated.

However, I find your reluctance (refusal?) to quote a RRP surprising, if not disingenuous.

If you don't already know it's time someone told you that in this country if your company has a recommended RRP for an item, it is illegal for a retailer to sell the item for more (with some possibble exceptions for remote locations where "freight" is significant).
    So what you're really saying is the retail margin varies from optometrist to optometrist.
    I'll leave it to others to clue you in as to whether a manufacturer/wholesaler is obliged to publish a RRP.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

One range, one price, one point of contact.
    and

IOAC prides itself on having the best customer service in the industry. No matter how good our products are, we know that surpassing our customers’ expectations in service is more important.

Customer service is included as part of our overall approach to systematic improvement. We consider that every contact with a customer, whether it’s a comment or complaint, is a golden business opportunity to measure how well we are doing and improve as a company.
    Jessica, the above quotes are direct from your website but do not agree with your refusal to quote a ballpark figure for your lenses.

In fact rather than me being interested in your products your refusal has made me an antagonistic non customer. No doubt many others on this board feel the same.

It would have served your company better not to have joined and posted if you cannot or will not answer reasonable questions on price. For my opinion of your company is not flattering.

Peter.

I am away from my recommended price lists at present but off the top of my head prescription single vision safety glasses about $200, bifocals about $300, progressives about $350. This is frame and Trivex lenses (in my opinion optically superior to polycarbonate). For metal workers best to wear fully enclosed goggles, this has fixed many of my patients recurring foreign body problems, for all others normal safety specs will keep out the high speed penetrating particles - this is a great argument to use Tormek style grinders. For those that need magnification then off the shelf bifs are better than nothing, but you may have to source these from the US. For those interested in the wrap styles if there is significant prescription then there will be appreciable distortion and this can be tricky to adapt to , there is a solution here too but that does start to put the price through the roof, I would think above $500. This is the reason why prescription safety frames have flatter curves, hope this answers some question, Ross.

Let me just answer Tigers original question, for metal work I recommend fully enclosed goggles, look for something that conforms to safety standards, for sawing wood with power tools normal safety specs will do fine. Whatever you can pick up at a reasonable price, just realise that polycarb has high impact resistance but scratches easily so a couple of pairs are good so when you wreck one pair you have back ups, most blokes get caught when they just do that last touch up with the grinder and forget to put the safety specs on. If you are a woodworker sharpening blades think seriously about using the slow speed wet grinders, sorry for the diatribe, Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by wattycoo View Post
    I am away from my recommended price lists at present but off the top of my head prescription single vision safety glasses about $200, bifocals about $300, progressives about $350. This is frame and Trivex lenses (in my opinion optically superior to polycarbonate). For metal workers best to wear fully enclosed goggles, this has fixed many of my patients recurring foreign body problems, for all others normal safety specs will keep out the high speed penetrating particles - this is a great argument to use Tormek style grinders. For those that need magnification then off the shelf bifs are better than nothing, but you may have to source these from the US. For those interested in the wrap styles if there is significant prescription then there will be appreciable distortion and this can be tricky to adapt to , there is a solution here too but that does start to put the price through the roof, I would think above $500. This is the reason why prescription safety frames have flatter curves, hope this answers some question, Ross.
    Thanks for the information. That's all we needed in the first place,someone with a bit of intelligence to give an intelligent reply.. Thanks again. Appreciated.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post

In fact rather than me being interested in your products your refusal has made me an antagonistic non customer. No doubt many others on this board feel the same.

It would have served your company better not to have joined and posted if you cannot or will not answer reasonable questions on price. For my opinion of your company is not flattering.

Peter.
    Agree with you 100%
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

South East Asia is the place to go for prescription safety glasses. I was in Malaysia on holiday a couple of years ago and had a pair made up. They weren't specifically safety glasses but they're wrap-around sports glasses from Outdo Sports (pic: http://www.outdo.com.cn/2/TR309P1(ESSENCE).jpg ).

Polycarbonate, multi-coated and ready the next day for AU$140 after the exchange rate.

If anyone's heading to Malaysia, PM me and I'll give you the details of the optometrist who did them.

Our kids really like the motocross motorbike goggles. They're a full curve of polycarbonate across the front & a foam backing against your face & are made to be mud-proof for people putting dirt bikes through their paces-woodwork cangenerally be tame in comparison!

They're about $15 a set + post from Evilbay in HK or USA.

They're very like what is supplied for SES & volunteer bush fire brigade people too.

Quote Originally Posted by malb View Post
    I used Uvex Ultrasonic 9302 while metal polishing, still have a couple of sets in the workshop. Replaceable faces for when they are badly scratched (get about a month full time polishing each) fit over virtually all eyeglasses except my humungous driving sunnies, fairly light and cope with almost anything, including wearing disposable dust masks.
    I chased up a pair of these after reading malb's post and now use them virtually every time I turn on a machine in the shed. I used to cheat myself a lot thinking that my pissy little eye glasses were offering me some protection but have had a few close calls over the years...

I'm now well protected, thanks malb!

Haven't yet found a supplier for the replacement lens though if anyone knows where to get them.