Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Danish oil advice wanted

I have just applied a coat of cabots danish oil to a pair of speakers I have built out of marine ply. I followed the instructions on the can, that is, applied the oil with a brush, sanded it with 400 grit sandpaper on my ROS, then wiped off after 10 mins with a cloth.

This is my first ever finishing job, and I just have a couple of questions:

- How many coats of danish oil should I apply? Is one enough given that I don't really need a hard wearing surface?

- Can I improve on the method of application that I undertook?

- What product/s could I use afterwards if I wanted to increase the sheen?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by wixy View Post
    I followed the instructions on the can, that is, applied the oil with a brush, sanded it with 400 grit sandpaper on my ROS, then wiped off after 10 mins with a cloth.

Please tell me that is a typo.
    Cheers,

Bob

Yeah, you can wet sand with oil Bob. Builds a slurry that fills the grain.

No of coats: until the oil just sits on the surface of the previous coat. Ie. when you wipe it off all of the last coat comes off.

Raising the sheen later? Buff with a lambswool bonnet or swansdown mop, and/or add a coat of ubeaut Trad wax and then buff.
    Cheers, Ern

Question

OK, I've got some questions. The Organoil instructions say only one coat is necessary if you are going to wax, otherwise just two coats would be sufficient.

The instructions say to first dry sand to either 600 or 1200 grit. It then says to friction rub in the oil with 'white synthetic pads' before wiping off.

Question: What are white synthetic pads?

The instructions also say to do the undersides surfaces prior to installation. I am about to start my cabinet glue up. Does this mean I should do a prep coat on the panel undersides and edges before assembly? If I do that and there is a little over run onto the visible faces will it affect the finish by leaving a sort of watermark when I get to do the face surface finishing or will it all blend in?

So after a bit of investigation it turns out "white synthetic" pads are like scotchbrite scourers.

The next problem is where to buy them. There are various grades of pad, white seems to be the softest. Bunnings has some very large white pads in the hire tool sections for use with floor sanders ($15). The only other white pad I could find are Coates household scourers with holder in Bunnings and BigW (~$3.60). Bristol paints had grey, brown and green but no white.

You could try the Festool Platin 2 pads. These are like scotchbrite and are available in 500,1000,2000 and 4000grit. They will fit any 150mm ROS as they have no holes.

Rob

A google search popped up a local commercial cleaning supply that stocks them.