Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default table restoration - how to strip veneer and glue leg?

Hi everyone,

This is the first post here for me, although I've been reading for a while . . . love the forum, some very interesting and invaluable info on here!

I'm asking for some ideas or help in restoring a table we bought a few weeks ago. It's mostly pretty good, but there are a few things that need work (see pics).

Firstly, there appears to be some dark bubbling on the veneer in patches, so that needs to be addressed, along with a few cup rings. However, I'm not sure the best way to go about this as I've only made pieces using solid timber, never veneer. I'm not even sure what the table is finished in (although I'm guessing it's a 1960s table, maybe a polyurethane finish?), so don't know the best way to strip off the finish - paint stripper? mineral turps? The veneer is very thin, so I don't think sanding it back is an option. I would love to get it close to the condition of the centre piece (which is obviously in better nick as it has rarely been used).

Another big problem is that one of the legs is split - normally I would just try glueing it, but I think clamping it may prove tricky, so not sure if there's a better solution out there?? Another leg is slightly apart from the rail, but I don't think it's such a major issue at the moment.

And lastly, any ideas on how to fix the runners (is that even the right word?) that the two table ends slide on, as they have small splits in them closest to the centre which cause the table ends to droop slightly when extended.

I hope someone out there can help or has any hints. For interest's sake, as I'm sure someone will be interested in progress, I'll post photos as I go!

Thanks,
    Rich

and here are the images . . . really should have attached them to the first post!