Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hello from Iowa, USA

My name is Brian Meeks. I am new to woodworking and I love it. Today (Jan 30, 2010) I bought some oak and hardboard. I am going to make some router jigs. I feel that if I learn woodworking by building jigs and such, I can get experience, without messing up a project which I would want to use, like a table or chair. I just finished a pair of Krenov designed saw horses.

I don't think I have grasped how the picture thing works. I tried it, but it just sent a link to my blog, but not the correct post.

As I mentioned I have been blogging about trying to learn woodworking. My style isn't for everyone, as I tend to make lots of obscure references and on occasion, even break out some iambic pentameter....nobody wants to read that. I try to mix it up though, and each day, I do actually do something to further my woodworking knowledge, but not every bit of wisdom makes for a good blog post. So I get creative. Since I first posted a bit about my blog, 70 people from Australia have come by to read it. To them, I say thanks. There is something very cool about getting readers from so far away.

hmmm...If you are really curious about the saw horses. I have the pictures on my blog. Extremely Average: The Twins

Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

I read part of your blog from another thread. We all start from some where, normally from the beginning.

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum.

"The training of the eyes to know when an edge is perfectly straight or a surface is flat, free from winding, and straight, is a very important part of a lad's training."

Welcome Brian, very interesting blog with some creative writing and thoughts. Hope you enjoy the forum, it can be very interesting and a lot of fun.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Welcome Brian
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Welcome Brian,

So you are inclined to break out in iambic pentametre? Shakespeare had that problem also. Heavy and rhythmic. To cure the disease try trochees taken twice a day.

Also saw a little piece on the Iowa State Fair. Things on a stick?

As you will find out, Aussies enjoy Robust discussion, very little political correctness but polite, Our moderators see to that.

Jerry
    Every person takes the limit of their own vision for the limits of the world.

Thumbs up

G'day Brian and welcome to the shed.

Spoken to you before but thought the official welcome site deserved a g'day.

G'day Brian,
    welcome on board, we ALL learn new things everyday........its great.

Regards
    Jack

Default Thanks for all the kind words.

I have not been doing a great job of hanging out here of late. I recently bought my own domain name and am trying to move my archived posts over. I am sure there is an easy way, but I haven't found it.

I just popped in and saw all the wonderful comments and I wanted to say thanks. I will try to be a better community member in the future.

Hey, Brian,
    Welcome aboard, I reckon you will enjoy this forum as the folks who frequent this electronic abode are smart and friendly. I am pretty much in the Woodturning area, but there are many interesting sub-forums to visit.
    Gil

-- Wood Listener--

Welcome here! What work you have done?