Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Stupid Americans?

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Under normal circumstances, I might accept this. But let's not forget that McCain is, like, 100-years-old and may not make it to election day. That means this novice, who was the mayor of a city of about 9000 people before she was the Governor of Alaska, would rule the free world.

This really me off. This clap trap about the US ruling the free world is nothing but rubbish. Within the US they believe this, but it continues to ping me off that media report this sort of nonsense.

Don't have a problem with the rest of the article at all, just this rule the world dog dodo.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

I'm into "naughty librarians"
    Cheers,

Howdya

Proudly supporting research into the therapeutic benefits of the Friday Thread

The person who wrote that article, like most journalists, hasn't got much of a clue.

Note I'm politically middle of the road, not an American and certainly don't care about democrat/republican politics. If you make a proper unbiased study of these two people's histories you'll see the journo really hasn't.

Ther Americans get terribly emotional about their elections. While we sort of sneer at politicians they either maul or adore them. So before you form strong opinions about American polly's best read up some...
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    This clap trap about the US ruling the free world is nothing but rubbish. .
    Of cause they rule the free world..

The free world consists of America, the rest are just heathens arent they
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

At least they are free, not like us. We now need an EPA permit to pass wind!
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

Quote Originally Posted by ernknot View Post
    We now need an EPA permit to pass wind!
    Has this been a significant problem for you?
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Why bless your hearts, all of you! If you think it's "unbelievable" then you haven't been paying attention for the last 20 or 30 (or 200+) years. American politics is what it is and vice-presidential candidates have ALWAYS been about votes. Always! Regional balance, gender balance, etc., etc. the reasons for picking a VP candidate are legion, but among them the thought of "what if he/she becomes president?" is not present.

Obama picked Biden to offset the "lack of experience" charge against him. McCain picked Palin to offset both the "age" and "gender" issues. Simple as that. Been that way for yonks.
    Cheers,

Bob

Not judging those Yankees by their politics, just the candidates and them yankke politicans who think they're in the oval office, not to preside over the Land of the Free, but over the whole world.

I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    them yankke politicans who think they're in the oval office, not to preside over the Land of the Free, but over the whole world.
    Waldo I am shocked, shocked I tell you!! Where did you ever get the idea that America wants to rule the world? I've a good mind to send you to your room with no tea.

It's true, of course, that in the American system, the president has very little power over domestic affairs (that's why saying that Bush or any president ruined the economy is always unfair--they don't have the power to ruin the economy, only the Congress can do that ). But in foreign affairs, the president has sweeping powers and the whole military--little wonder it goes to their head.
    Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Honorary Bloke View Post
    Waldo I am shocked, shocked I tell you!! Where did you ever get the idea that America wants to rule the world? I've a good mind to send you to your room with no tea.
    That's right Waldo, Americans are so insular most of them don't know where the rest of the world is. It must be the only country in the world that has a "World Series" with only American teams in it

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    That's right Waldo, Americans are so insular most of them don't know where the rest of the world is.
    Not true! Not true! I know good and well that Australia is just south of Germany and its capitol is Vienna. So there!
    Cheers,

Bob

At least the US politicians have a bit of character. We just had a state-election and I can't tell one politician from the other.
    Oh, please bring back Paul Keating, he might of been an arrogant pr@ck, but at least he was entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Honorary Bloke View Post
    Not true! Not true! I know good and well that Australia is just south of Germany and its capitol is Vienna. So there!
    But your esteemed president gave a speech here and referred to Australia as Austria.

But it would be unfair to tar all of you guys with the Dubbyah brush (wouldn't it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    But it would be unfair to tar all of you guys with the Dubbyah brush (wouldn't it?)
    Nar, probably not. Let me just get my banjo and go out on the porch.

Bush has a speech impediment--he's got his tongue over his eyeteeth and he can't see what he's saying.
    Cheers,

Bob