Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: parrafin oil

Default parrafin oil

hey I just bought some parafin oil from bunnings to be used as a finish for a chopping board, i just wanted too double check if this is ok as a finish? i was a bit concerned with the poison sticker on the side of it as well as "not ment for human consumption".

I've heard parafin oil is the stuff to use for finishing chopping boards but i would just like to double check that its ok to use, thanks in advance

I think you are supposed to use the stuff from the chemist. I haven't tried it myself though.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

In pharmacy it is now called 'Liquid Paraffin' - used for constipation etc although there are much better products for that purpose, also used in moisturising products for skin.

Perhaps you should check exactly what you have bought, as it may not be medicinal quality.

Paraffin in England is what we call Kerosene
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

ok its a 1litre bottle brand name diggers and its called paraffinoil, recomended usage on the bottle is for drenching horses, lubricating machines and to seal water surfaces in water tanks. underneath that though it says not for human consumption.

im trying to find info on the companys website but not much is coming up, has anyone used it before is it ok?

http://www.diggersaust.com.au/catalogue/index.htm

thats the link to the product, (under the oil section)

You really need to buy oil that is labelled as suitable for human consumption, according to the MSDS from Diggers, it isn't suitable for human consumption
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

problem solved, i went to the local pharmacy and picked up a bottle of the medical grade stuff, chopping board came up a treat with it. thanks for everyones help and advice

The MSDS applies for medical grade paraffin as well, the spray of it is bad for your lungs and your eyes don't like it much, otherwise it just gives you the $hit$.

We have used the Bunnings Paraffin oil on cats, dogs and horses with no ill effects.

The medical/foodgrade is about sterile packaging rather than the product itself.

thanks torre, you saved me asking the exact same question about the exact same product from bunnings!...i was very puzzled about it...glad i didnt just do it....however, laxative oil instead? does this mean every meal prepared is gonna give people a hint of the runs hehe...

thanks!

Hi Torre,
    As most have indicated you need chemist's quality. However, you might like to try "woodwipe". Could stuff made from citrus oil and nuts and is food safe. It smells a little when you first put it on but that soon disappears. You should check it out and I would definitely recommend it instead of paraffin. Hope this helps. Drillit.

Default Parafin Oil

Torre,
    G'day Y'all,
    Food safe finishing material can be made by taking a liter of mineral oil and a stick of parafin and heating them until the parafin melts into the mineral oil. Do not boil. It makes an excellent finish and can be touched up very easy. You should be able to get ;mineral oil at the drug store under laxatives.
    Regards
    Joe

FoodSafe Plus Pharmaceutical / food grade oil for all wooden utensils, bread boards, chopping boards, etc. No taste, no smell, no colour. Just pure Pharmaceutical grade paraffin oil with a heap of other uses. Info Sheet