Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy This whole moving thing is starting to get me down

For those who don't know I will be coming to Aus permanently some time before Sept. I now have the task of going through all the stuff I've collected and been doing for the past 20 years. It's the wierdest feeling, I feel like I am preparing to die and I'm getting my affairs in order. I have projects that are started but now will never be finished. I must have a hundred roughed out bowl blanks that I'll never get to ever again. I've sold off the toys I had since I was 7 years old. It brings back memories of when I had to bury my parents and having to go though all the things they collected and were doing.

SOMEONE PLEASE! send me some pictures of Australia - give me something to look forward to.

Mat,

You don't need pictures, you just need to log on to the camera from the public toilets in Mooloolaba.

This time I am deadly serious - look at my face>>

It's known as the loo with a view, and here's the webcam:
    http://www.maroochytourism.com/ausnet_looview.htm

The lens is a bit dirty, but you'll see a balmy autumn afternoon about 27°c.

We LOVE it UP HERE!!!!

P (trying to take your mind of packing!)

Matthew,

Cheer up - you'll soon be dead, as my father used to tell me, when I was downcast at the prospect of another term at school.

Here are some pictures of Queensland; four of them were taken in my yard, and one is of the beach at Maroochydore, where you are headed, I believe:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dldund...das1/my_photos

Rocker

Bet you had to wait for EVER to get a cloudless day to take that finial shot Rocker.

AS IF !!!!

Cheers,

P (Half way through another shocking day in Paradise!!!)

Matthew,

I migrated to Perth from South Africa at age 51, after spending 24 years in the same house.....................bring everything with you, that way you don't have to throw anything away. I brought 2 x 40 foot containers. Just couldn't bear parting with my treasures.

Once in Oz you'll wonder why you waited so long!

P.S. the craziest stuff I brought with me must be 2.5 tonne of lead in ingots, didn't take up much space and I was charged for container volume not weight. The guys offloading my stuff here in Perth weren't amuzed!

Quote Originally Posted by gatiep
    P.S. the craziest stuff I brought with me must be 2.5 tonne of lead in ingots
    O.K. I'll bite. Why Joe?

He wanted to try the fishing here and make his own sinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by gatiep
    Matthew,

I migrated to Perth from South Africa at age 51, after spending 24 years in the same house.....................
    One of the few places I'd want to live outside Oz is SA. Did a trip there and toured around - a beautiful place spoiled by political problems. A real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy
    One of the few places I'd want to live outside Oz is SA. Did a trip there and toured around - a beautiful place spoiled by political problems. A real shame.
    South Australian's are a bit odd but I wouln't go so far as to say SA is outside Oz. .........or is it. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Those comments *are* interchangeable I guess!

Don't forget the little island.
    if you dont like flying get the Spirit.
    p.t.c

Dont loose sight of the big picture Mat.
    Once your been here for a while, youll wonder why you didnt do it sooner, I know.
    I came here from England in 1770.

I wouldnt go back for quids ( dollars ), no way no how.
    Al

Also, if it makes moving any easier, I shall make you a "Junior Foily" on your arrival.

I shall get Midge to induct you, seeing as how he will be the closest.

Al

Craig

Wasn't meant to be a trick statement but seeing that you asked. I used to teach diving over there amongst other things like a professional career. Used to buy scrap lead off scrap dealers and had a local indigenous guy melt the lead down and into ingots, if there was an oversupply. This meant one more person was employed and not begging on the streets like millions of others. I could have sold the lead for next to nothing over there and probably would have had to leave the proceeds behind. So instead, as it wasn't going to cost me more in transport, I brought it to Oz as part of my "personal effects". Getting $s for it seemed much more attractive......real money and in my pocket here seemed too good not to pursue, but after all these years it is still in my shed, I still havn't got a round tuit! Hope the price of round tuits and lead increases which will make it realy viable! When you have to leave so much hard earned behind and also sell gear and business for next to nothing, because those that had the cash, all had the same idea.............getting out, then one thinks of some strange ways of getting things out of the country to somewhere where it is more valuable.

Fortunately the above will not apply to MatthewA