Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Eee

Default Eee

Hi all
    I have never used EEE Ultra Shine, however I have aquired some in a job lot purchase of other items. Can someone tell me what the product should look like, the tub I have just looks like a white wax as the product contains tripoli etc. I though it may have a bit of colour to it, it was sitting out in the sun during our recent heat wave in a box with the other items, I am concerned that it may have melted and settled

EEE FAQ
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    Hi all
    I have never used EEE Ultra Shine, however I have aquired some in a job lot purchase of other items. Can someone tell me what the product should look like, the tub I have just looks like a white wax as the product contains tripoli etc. I though it may have a bit of colour to it, it was sitting out in the sun during our recent heat wave in a box with the other items, I am concerned that it may have melted and settled
    If it has been in the heat, just shake the whole container and it will remix and you are good to go. Mine does that in the shed from the heat, it will have a white waxy top layer but when remixed it should go a biege/browny colour.

Shane.

Thanks guys, Pat I did check the website and did not find the answer mayde I missed it

Keep all finishes in a cool place not on the top shelf in your work shop.

With the EEE get a small flat stick and stir it all up this will mix it back intogether.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Re the heat problem - solved mine to a large degree by getting hold of a "Koolite" Esky and a vegetable box from the grocers. Both have been "painted" with PVA glue to provide a harder surface and I think it adds to the insulation as well. This is now where I keep my glues, waxes, Minwax, masking tape etc.

Currently we have had a large proportion of this year in the mid to high 30's and I don't appear to have any separations or stuff going off due to heat. Have thought about a fridge but I think it could present its own problems for glues, waxes, tape etc in that when removed from the fridge there will be a period of time when condensation on the container could become a factor - not sure but just trying to avoid extra problems.

Regards,
    Bob

The esky idea is a good one, I did remix it and it seemed to work fine the I went to put a cot of shellawax on, sread it on and turned on the lathe and pop half my shed shut down seem to to have aphase problem will get my mate (sparky) over for a coffee

Pretty much solved the problem of separation.

If it happens again it can be rectified by placing the tub in the microwave and heating it with 10 second bursts until it is melted. Then remove and stir till the mis begins to thicken.

If you don't stir till it thickens some or all of the abrasive will settle out of the mix.

The esky is a very good idea, an old fridge or chest freezer works well also but not switched on. Super-glue should always be stored in the fridge most other can go in the cool box.

Shellac flakes of any sort keep best in the fridge also preferably in air tight bag.

You can make an effective cool cabinet by completely lining the inside or outside of an old cupboard with 50mm thick polystyrene foam you need to line everything including door and make sure the door shuts tight.

Only problem with this is if the heat does get in it can't escape.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil

Thanks Neil,
    I will have to get to work and make up some sort of cool cabinet, should have enough stuff laying around, just have to sort out the electrons

If I could suggest again, go to the local fruit and vegie place [forget the supermarkets] and get a polystyrene vegie box, though thinner than the Esky they are straight sided and large enough for most bits including paint/poly tins. If you want it sturdier then it would be easy to make a ply box for it to drop into. I have found that just coating it with a few coats of PVC, old leftovers, has made mine harder, it will still ding but doesn't lose bits as polystyrene does as it gets older.

Just a thought, regards,
    Bob

I keep mine in the bottom of the outside fridge, when not in use.