Default What Age Should You Start Binge Drinking?

CHILDREN as young as nine are binge drinking, prompting leading health experts to call for a rethink on youth alcohol strategies

Parents are partly to blame by adopting the "Mediterranean model" of introducing alcohol to primary age children. The Daily Telegraph has learned that health workers are routinely coming across primary school children with the drinking habits of adults.

The alarming findings have led to plans to open a young alcoholic treatment centre in a leading Sydney hospital and one council to put on a back-to-school safe drinking forum next week. National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre has found Australian parents believe they are safeguarding their children by introducing them to alcohol – but in fact they are initiating them into a binge-drinking culture.

Gee they are slow learners these days, I remember having my first alcholic tipple when I was 6.

Hey Metal

My experience is its simple

Garbage parents create garbage children who create garbage children who .......

Simple but true IMO

My father was French, so I grew up with having (watered) wine with dinner. Always in moderation, and no issues.

National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre has found Australian parents believe they are safeguarding their children by introducing them to alcohol – but in fact they are initiating them into a binge-drinking culture.

There is nothing wrong with BINGO drinking.....Number 22 thats 2 fluffy ducks HICCOUGH!?
    wine and wood
    ahhhh yes life is good

What age should you start binge drinking?

When you are old enogh to hold the glass. Obviously.

Next question.

My son is 18. I gave him his 1st beer when he was 17 yrs old. He also has the occasional cream liqueur and I can count the # of beers he has had in the past year on my 2 hands. He will be attending school leavers week next month. Fingers crossed that all will go well. My trust in him will surely be tested.
    Regards
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by lesmeyer View Post
    He will be attending school leavers week next month. Fingers crossed that all will go well. My trust in him will surely be tested.
    Regards
    Les
    Yeah right, been there done the exsact same thing.
    Wait for the photos, or the ones thay wont show you.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner View Post

Al
    Al,
    I am not a fool you know . I am just hoping and praying with trpidation.
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by lesmeyer View Post
    Al,
    I am not a fool you know . I am just hoping and praying with trpidation.
    Les
    Good luck.

Al

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler View Post
    Hey Metal

My experience is its simple

Simple but true IMO

Well said, I agree!!

What a load of shyte.

The first time I got drunk was at 13, on the Abel Tasman, returning from Year 9 school trip to Tasmania. I drank several bottles of Vanilla essence . I started regularly drinking at 14 when my boss used to buy me a couple of UDLs on the way home each day. By the time I was fifteen we used to have weekend long parties at his house. I drove home from my 18th because I had one drink. I had about five at my 21st. I now drink about four times a year and generally have fewer than 1/2 dozen at each sitting.

My parents didn't allow me to drink till I was 17. I was drinking as much as most adults could at the age of 15. Knocking over a bottle of ouzo or vodka was no real drama in a night. My drinking habits at that time were completely my own decision and my parents had no knowledge of it (probably still don't).

My point is, kids are VERY resourceful when it comes to getting/doing what they want. It is the parents resposibility to bring them up to have enough sense to do the right thing when you are NOT watching them.

I'm with Dazzler...
    'Cept we say... "shyt breeds shyt breeds shyt..."

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Same age as you want to start helping yourself (and others) die.

Rob

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner View Post

Al
    WHAT AL SAID!!!! If you think your lad won't "get into it" just like his mates then you have had too many Fluffy Ducks I am afraid.... Good Luck!

rrich Guest

Starting at age 3 or 4, every time my father would have a beer with dinner, I was offered a small glass (2 or 3 ounces) beer. During the last 2 years of high school, my parents would buy my brand of beer because I didn't care for my father's brand. I might drink a six pack over a months time. The legal age for drinking is 21 and I had my first legal drink about 10 months after my 21st birthday.

In my case, being allowed to consume alchohol at an early age took the mystery out of it. All through my earlier years there was no real desire to get really . Friends would get and I would drive them home.