Hi

I'm in the process of building a new kitchen using white 16mm HMR Melamine Board to construct the cabinetry. I am now up to the design and building stage of the overhead kitchen wall cabinets.

I do have past experience when it comes to renovating and I have worked in a timber joinery BUT I have never built overhead cabinets for a kitchen.

So before I start on this I'd thought I'd post how I intend to build the wall cabinets and hopefully someone who is "in the know" can tell me if this is a structurally sound way to make them and that they aren't likely to pull apart and come crashing down on the bench tops.

Cabinet Heights= 595mm
Cabinet Depth=300mm
Max cabinet length is 960mm
There will be two corner cabinets 695 x 695 long
One cabinet will be required to take the weight of a 600mm wide slide out Rangehood.

OK: The attack plan is....

1.) Cut out the Side, Top and Bottom Panels.

2.) Glue and screw the Side panels into the edges of the Top and Bottom Panels.

3.)Cut out a solid back panel (16mm Melamine) and then glue and screw the back panel directly onto the back edges of the Side, Top and Bottom panels. Or is it better to cut the back panel to be a snug fit within the 4 sides of the Top Bottom and side panels and then screw into the edges of the back panel?

4.) Screw the assembled cabinet carcass to the wall and also screw each individual cabinet into the side of the cabinet next to it.

House is an old style timber house with Pine VJ boards and Hardwood wall studs.

Also can anyone recommend a suitable glue for Melamine board and are "stock standard" 25mm (30mm ?) self drilling chipboard screws be OK to use?

Thanks in advance for any input people may offer

Regards

Sean.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...