Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hotplate/cooktop cover

We have a four burner gas cooktop set in a granite bench in our kitchen. There is, however very limited bench space and, recently, SWMBO asked if I could make a cover for the cooktop so that she could have an extra work area if she wasn't using the stove for anything.

I naturally thought of making this of wood (probably hardwood for the frame and blockboard for the surface. However, I then started worrying about the possibility of the cover being put back on the cooktop with one of the burners is still going. To deal with this my first solution is to have a series of sockets on the underside of the cover matching the position of the cooktop knobs when the gas is off - this will mean that the cover won't fit properly unless all the burners are off. However, I think it would be desirable to have a second line of protection and I was wondering if anyone has some thoughts for a fireproof coating that could be put on the underside of the cover.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

steel, aluminium or other non combustible plate, machined into the underside of your chopping block and 'stepped off' with small spacers in between the metal and timber - BTW I reckon a 50 square metre kitchen doesnt have enough bench space

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Thanks, Steve. I was hoping that here might be something that itself was a fire barrier - like a ceramic. But if it has to be metal, then it has to be.

I have found the following website:
    http://www.cerampolymerik.com/about.htm
    They seem to have stuff that makes a PVC sheet which ceramifies when heated. I will ask if they have it in a form that a home handyman can use and let you know.

Cheers

Jeremy
    Cheers

Jeremy

Make sure you get the off postions correct, As I would be worried about leaving the gas on and no flame.
    go quite thick with the metal if you are using that, or the thin stuff will distort quite quickly.
    sounds like a nice project please can we see your hand work once complete ?

Davo

If the idea of ceraqmifying plastic doesn't come off, I will probably use 2.5 or 3 mm aluminium (to keep the weight down), spaced about 3 mm off the surface. Do you think that would be ok?

Fortunately, the knobs are shaped in plan like a lever coming out of a circle, so ther e is only on position in which they are "off". So it should be clear very quickly that there is a problem in terms of the gas being on, whether or not it is lit.

If this project gets done, I will take some WIP pictures along the way.

Cheers

Jeremy
    Cheers

Jeremy

Default Jeremy

sounds like you have it all covered, the aluminium will dissipate the heat nicely if anything goes wrong, when we had our kitchen done i managed to grab the piece that was cut out for the cook top with that intention but so far it has been sitting in the garage as a wip. so many projects so little time.
    best of luck

I would not use a metal of any kind here as it transmits heat too rapidly. You would be much better of with a piece of fibro. This is both an insulator and fireproof.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Interesting problem. I just had a brain wave while reading the replies. What about a metal mesh top of some kind. That will allow you to see directly if any burners are left on and also dissipate any heat. Dont know what thickness you need/can get.
    Will still allow it to be used for storing stuff on etc. Maybe even cook staright thorough the mesh. What a great idea. I think I will race off and patent that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Willson View Post
    I would not use a metal of any kind here as it transmits heat too rapidly. You would be much better of with a piece of fibro. This is both an insulator and fireproof.
    Bob

By 'fibro' do you mean fibre cement or asbestos fibre cement? the latter would be very fireproof, but toxic.
    Cheers

Jeremy

Why not put a cut off switch which turns off the gas flow when the lid is down.
    That is what is required by law on the ones that have a fold down glass cover.
    I would imagine having a cover for your cook top without a gas shut off switch would be illegal and void any insurance.
    Check with the manufacturer of your cook top and see if they do a model with a cover, if they do you will be able to purchase a suitable cut off through them.

Cheers, Jack.
    "There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

Thanks Jack, I have already spoken to the manufacturer about a cover.
    They have discontinued the cover option because it was metal and it became too hot if a burner was left on and was a danger as a result. There was no mention of such a switch which if it was a requirement in NSW would have meant that there was no need to discontinue the product!
    Cheers

Jeremy

That sounds a little dodgy. Maybe they discontinued it because they got busted for not having a shut off

Even if it is not a requirement I think it is a good idea and would certainly include it.

Perhaps you could try another manufacturer.

It would be worth the effort, not only for the safety aspect, you would then be unlimited with what you could do for the cover.

Cheers, Jack
    "There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

Maybe you can design the cover to increase the bench space and double as a teppanyaki grill plate when you ignite all 4 burners!

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89 View Post
    Bob

By 'fibro' do you mean fibre cement or asbestos fibre cement? the latter would be very fireproof, but toxic.
    Fibro cement. The standard builders sheeting that you use to line bathrooms etc.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Great thoughts, guys. I shall give this some more thought and let you know where I get to. My responses to your particular thoughts are set out below.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E View Post
    That sounds a little dodgy. Maybe they discontinued it because they got busted for not having a shut off

Even if it is not a requirement I think it is a good idea and would certainly include it.

Perhaps you could try another manufacturer.

It would be worth the effort, not only for the safety aspect, you would then be unlimited with what you could do for the cover.

Cheers, Jack
    Having thouhgt about their response in light of your posts, Jack, I suspect that you might be right and that the reason they are giving is a classic example of "spin" - trying to make them look good where they had devised a bad product which had to be withdrawn and they weren't prepared to put in the effort to make it work properly and safely!

I will see what else I can find, but do ou have any info on there shut-off valves and/or cooktops that have them fitted to start my researches?

You are right as to making the thing more useful as well as safer if there was a shut off!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Willson View Post
    Fibro cement. The standard builders sheeting that you use to line bathrooms etc.
    Just wanted to be sure because asbestos is the really fireproof stuff in old-fashioned fibro and I wasn't sure that modern fibre cement had the same fireproofing qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by renomart View Post
    Maybe you can design the cover to increase the bench space and double as a teppanyaki grill plate when you ignite all 4 burners!
    Now that is lateral thinking! I might save that idea until the Mark 2 version! I can see reall merits in it however, especially if I can get teh safety switch idea to work and then can devise a manual overide for it!
    Cheers

Jeremy