Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default gas line from hosue to workshop

the existing gas pipe from the meter is (approx) 30mm (external) steel pipe, supplies gas to oven, cook top, hot water & central heater.

What I would like to have done (no, not doing it myself is to have mains gas down to the shed for a small hot water unit and a heater (don't want to freeze my poor old bones)

Shed to closest point of the existing gas pipe is about 20m.

Need to run water & mains power to the shed as well, was hoping to use a single trench, 300mm wide, 900mm deep (a friend has a 3.5t excavator, so little to no manual digging needed) While I am at I may as well run new 90mm stormwater as well I guess.

Location is eastern suburbs in Victoria

Anyone see any problems that might raise their ugly heads or known legalities ?

I would opt for electric why go to the extra cost of running gas down when ya have to put electrical in anyway just make sure ya tell the sparky you want a little HWS storage unit and he will just up the size of the main. simple

Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    I would opt for electric why go to the extra cost of running gas down when ya have to put electrical in anyway just make sure ya tell the sparky you want a little HWS storage unit and he will just up the size of the main. simple
    I had thought of that, if someone can point me to an electric heater that is as cheap (or cheaper) to run than a gas heater ( shed is about 35 square meters).

I also thought of running hot water from the existing water heater, but concerned about the amount of heat loss for about 25 meters of pipe.

must be bloody cold in victoria really the only way you are going to heat your shed and keep the heat in efficiently is by insulating it and lining it you will be either too much gas or electricity you are going to find the same problem you will either use more gas or more electricty to keep the heat in... seriously one of my mates picked up an old combustion log fire 2nd hand from a garage sale that is in his shed and it works a treat and is great feature spot to kick around and ave a coupla rums on a cold winters nites as for the storage hws unit the little bastards use bugger all electricity

Shed is well on the way to being well insulated (exterior walls ->sisalation -> 3.0 wall bats -> 10mm gyprock, same deal for the roof)

Back to my original question re all the services in the one trench...

You can run some services in the one trench but they have to be seperate and at different depths, i.e power at 600mm gas at 900mm and water at 300mm, these figures aren't exact, just spinning them off to give you the idea.

As for what and what depth, your local council or service providers will be able to tell you this
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by djstimber View Post
    You can run some services in the one trench but they have to be seperate and at different depths, i.e power at 600mm gas at 900mm and water at 300mm, these figures aren't exact, just spinning them off to give you the idea.

As for what and what depth, your local council or service providers will be able to tell you this
    thanks for that, the depth will not be a problem for the excavator

Quote Originally Posted by Terrian View Post
    Need to run water & mains power to the shed as well, was hoping to use a single trench, 300mm wide, 900mm deep (a friend has a 3.5t excavator, so little to no manual digging needed) While I am at I may as well run new 90mm stormwater as well I guess.
    Might be worthwhile running some communications cabling as well while you are at it. Maybe a few runs of cat-5 for phone, computer, alarm system...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    Might be worthwhile running some communications cabling as well while you are at it. Maybe a few runs of cat-5 for phone, computer, alarm system...

have the intention of running some extra 90mm stormwater in the trench with a few runs of twine to pull extras through )

ya goin the whole nine yards mate just in regards to the trench it all BS dig it 900 throw about a foot of backfill over it then gets some warning tape available at any elect wholesaler and back fill the rest i have dug many a trench and we all threw it in the hole but i always made sure power was on the bottom i would rather hit phone water or gas before hitting power and be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    ya goin the whole nine yards mate just in regards to the trench it all BS dig it 900 throw about a foot of backfill over it then gets some warning tape available at any elect wholesaler and back fill the rest i have dug many a trench and we all threw it in the hole but i always made sure power was on the bottom i would rather hit phone water or gas before hitting power and be done with it
    yep, to the garden shed I dug a 700mm deep 12m long trench, power cable in thick walled poly pipe, 100mm dirt, safety tape, filled in the trench. Trench is about 700mm from the fence (no garden bed).

From asking around the depth for power is min 600mm, gas seems to be min 450mm. As I said, access to an excavator so going deeper is not a problem.

I always thought that gas and power were not allowed in the same trench?
    Might be a NSW thing or I may be wrong..

mate ya only kiddin me about using poly pipe to carry the power arnt ya? you are going to use heavy duty conduit correct!

In vic there is no regulation for the distance of power to gas pipe.But, there is a reg for the distance of gas to power.It is either 300 or 450...can't recall now.

Tools

Are you talking about distance from the point of ignition now or what?