Default grain keep "roughing up"

Hi everyone, it's been quite a while since my last post when I was contemplating replacing my balcony/deck. Well about 12 months later and it's finished (well almost, just abit of touch up painting to go).

Over xmas I decided to build a table with some of the old hardwood decking boards and some old bloodwood fence rails I had laying around to compliment the new deck.

Anyway, the old hardwood decking boards which are now the table top, would have to be at least 18 years old. After hours on end of sanding, sanding and more sanding, I finally got through to the brilliant colour of wood and managed to get it smooth.

I gave it 2 coats of organoils clear garden furniture oil and it looked brilliant. after a week or so the grain on some of the boards started to come up and became "rough". I gave it a light sand applied another light coat of the oil and rubbed it in with 000 steel wool. Again it was smooth as silk for about a week.

On the weekend I gave it another light sand, another light coat of oil and this time rubbed it in with 0000 steelwool. And you guessed it the grain is already starting to roughen up in places.

Does anyone know why this is happening, and what I can do to keep the boards smooth, or should I just grab a beer and enjoy the table how it is?
    :mad: If it won't fit....FORCE IT!!!!

How long has it been out of the weather, there may be some moisture still present?

Hi Harry,

The table is outside on the balcony deck where the boards originally came from. The boards were well and truly weathered as they had been down for about 18 years.

The only difference is that I have turned them upside down. Originally (when they were the decking boards, the underside was bare timber, and the top side was painted. Instead of trying to strip the paint, I just turned them over.

Could it possibly be that they are just really dry and are "sucking up" as much oil as they can????

Quote Originally Posted by inaminit View Post
    Could it possibly be that they are just really dry and are "sucking up" as much oil as they can????
    I think you put your finger on it mate. The grain keeps engorging on the oil and swelling. Just keep sanding and oiling, it will eventualy be saturated and give up. Might had tried a sanding sealer first go, but not now.
    Cheers,

Bob

I've had the same thing happen with timber that was still drying.

I spun up a piece of sheoak that I thaught was dry, then gave it a good shelawaxing.... beautifull..........2 hours later the surface was rough.

Had to give it a drying in the microwave.

Could be moisture too..... could take months to settle down.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Thanks for the help guys....looks like a bit more elbow grease is in order....now what was the ratio of beers to coats of oil again???????