I have just had a builder place a 200 mm wide slat red mahogany floor in our shed conversion. It looks wonderful and I now have to decide whether to 2 pack seal the floor or should I have it oiled. I understand that if it oiled it is easier to repair small areas without sanding back the whole floor. We live by the beach and the shed is now my husband and sons cricket watching room, so I doubt if any lads will be taking off their shoes at the front door, so expect lots of sand.

I just don't know how deep the colour will go. Iniatially wanted a black floor but managed to get this timber at a reasonable cost. The shed is air conditioned and does get a fair bit of sun as I placed french doors around all sides. So the timber will darken with the sun I gather. If you 2 pack the floor does it continue to darken or does it preserve the colour at the time when it is applied? Does the oiling allow it to continue to darken as a better alternative? Need advice as to the best alternative. Sander can not make it until 2 weeks or so so have a bit of time to decide.

Any help appreciated.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...