Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Removing Wax finish

My wife wants to paint an hutch that currently has a Wax (possibly Bees wax) finish. What is the best way to remove the wax and prepare the surface for painting.

Please don't say read Neils book - I bought it but I have loaned it to a mate who I cannot contact and the Boss wants to paint this thing tomorrow.

Help!
    Wayne

* New Website - Updates Coming Soon *
    http://wayneswoodwork.davyfamily.com/

Don't know if it will work, but spraypainters use a product (prepsol is one of the names it's sold under) to degrease surfaces before painting. It removes wax, oil, grease and pen marks. I have used it prepping surfaces prior to spray painting and also prior to respraying mirotone lacquer on used surfaces, however I don't know if it will be succesful in your application, please keep us posted as to what is succesful as it would be good to know.

Mick

Thanks Mick. Looks like I have to make a trip to the dreaded Bunnies tomorrow.

Any other suggestions? I vaguely remember hearing that Turps might be used to clean it up.
    Wayne

Turps will do it to a degree however almost anything you use will still leave a minute amount of wax in the timber. If it is beeswax then this is not a real problem and it is highly likely that most finishes will take to it without any great drama. Beware of water bases finishes as they may not like to stick to the wax deposit levt in the timber. You may need to try it on a small onobtrusive section (if there is one) before jumping in boots and all.

Prepsol is probably a good idea after washing down with turps. The other alternative is to paint a thin coat of Shellac over the washed surface to seal the wax into the timber, then apply your paint. Shellac - the wonder drug of finishing has the ability to go over just about anything.

Hope this helps - Neil

Neil,

Thanks mate. My wife asked if instead of Shellac (we dont have any YET) she could use some White King GripLock Primer which she has used on problematic surfaces. This would be after cleaning down with Turps/Prepsol.

Wayne
    Wayne

Turned out I had some 'K&H Wax & Grease Remover' which a mate had given me to use to clean down the metal of the Cyclone. We used that it the wax came right of - well, after two applications. Griplock Primer has been applied and its looking fine (hopefully). I let everyone know if this does not take but I think its gunna be fine.
    Wayne

Clean as good as you can with turps and then give a coat of shellac before painting. This will give a definate bight and make it easier for the next restorer who will probably want to bring the hutch back to timber.