Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default End of the World Part I

We haven't had a good end of the world thread for awhile, so here goes.

In my opinion, we are approaching the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine).
    1. Global Warming
      It appears that global warming is happening significantly faster than previously thought.
      The Age
      Coping With Climate Dread
    2. Population Overshoot
      We are currently at 6.5billion people. More than doubled in my life time. If the population continues to grow at current rates, we'll be at 9 billion in 30-40 years.
      For 6 of the last 7 years the world has consummed more grain that it has produced.
      Grain Production
    3. Peak Oil
      The world has hit peak oil production. From now on we will be able to extract less and less oil for the earth at an ever increasing cost. There are no viable alternatives.
      Peak Oil
    4. Resource Depetion
      Every year we consume what it takes mother nature 400 years to produce. Plainly, in a finite world this can't continue.
    In an attempt to maintain the lifestyle we live now the world will attemp to mitigate the effects of peak oil by:
    Converting Coal To Oil, try and extract more oil from the Tar sands of Canada and grow vast quantities of biofuels.

The first 2 are going to increase carbon emission in a serious way. This will further contribute to Global Warming. Global Warming will effect food production. For instance the drought in Australia means we will probably have to import wheat to meet domestic demand.

Also, vast tracts of land that are currently used for food production will start being used for biofuels production.
    Everything we do, all the food we eat, all the things we buy are oil derivataves. It takes oil to grow, make, dig up, transport, package etc. everything in our lives.

Humans being humans, we will fight over the last of the food, oil and other resourses.

Basically, the behavour of mankind over the last 150 years has left us in a position that unless we radically change our ways now we will be in for some very nasty times in the very near future.

We've got a very small window available to us to make changes to the way we behave. Let your pollie know that it's worth votes.

Photo Gallery

I won't live long enough to be greatly effected.
    I feel sorry for my kids and grandkids for the mess my generation has left.

Grunt, what makes you think the pollies know what to do about it? They're probably in as bad a position as the rest of us, at least the ones who give a damn about it anyway. Imagine trying to get the whole world to agree on a way forward, with all the self interest and mistrust that exists. You might as well kiss your butt goodbye now mate.

And keep yer bat tub full so yer got water when the river dries up...
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

You might as well kiss your butt goodbye now mate.
    Can I kiss your's goodbye too.

Sadly, I think you're right. Self interest and greed will win the day.

I keep thinking that leaders like Johnny will do anything for a vote. The sudden interest in building wind/solar farms by the Federal Government is because their polling suggests that there is a vote in it.
    Photo Gallery

It will only ever be a token gesture though. They'll make appearances of doing something while everyone is looking. Then as soon as our attention is turned elsewhere, they'll sweep it under the carpet and hope no-one asks about it. People who do will be put down as loonie lefties.

How many election promises that were never kept can you remember? Even from the last election. We are fickle-brained mush heads for the most part. As long as we are spoon fed our daily serve of contentment, nobody bats an eyelid. Most people I talk to about this stuff either don't believe it, or just assume that we will be OK somehow.

I believe Mr Costello.

He says that Australia produces less than 1% of the world's greenhouse gasses. Whether this is more than our share is not in question. In Australia we produce less greenhouse gas in TOTAL than the annual INCREASE in China.

I don't agree that there is no viable alternative to fossil fuels. There is.
    It's called not going anywhere, reducing consumption and producing part of the staple food in each household (just like much of Asia currently lives). My grandparents used to live like that, and my grandchildren will also.

While we have politicians who seriously believe that daylight saving will contribute to skin cancer, there is little point in even discussing a future.:mad:

Water hasn't dried up. The claim that it's the longest dry period on record is just a cop-out for "we didnt' get our infrastructure planning right".

While ever people waste electricity by communicating unnecessarily via electronic devices instead of solving the world's problems in some pub, there will always be a problem.

P

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

As the waters rise and all the cities and suburbs drown the only survivors will be those who have PD Racers in which to escape to Port Kosciousko...

I tend to agree with the stingy Midge.

.....two words, 'Mad Max'

I'm going out tomorrow to get myself an XA Coupe and a blower....'last of the big V8's, thucks nitro!'
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    We haven't had a good end of the world thread for awhile, so here goes.

In my opinion, we are approaching the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine).
    1. Global Warming
      It appears that global warming is happening significantly faster than previously thought.
      The Age
      Coping With Climate Dread
    2. Population Overshoot
      We are currently at 6.5billion people. More than doubled in my life time. If the population continues to grow at current rates, we'll be at 9 billion in 30-40 years.
      For 6 of the last 7 years the world has consummed more grain that it has produced.
      Grain Production
    3. Peak Oil
      The world has hit peak oil production. From now on we will be able to extract less and less oil for the earth at an ever increasing cost. There are no viable alternatives.
      Peak Oil
    4. Resource Depetion
      Every year we consume what it takes mother nature 400 years to produce. Plainly, in a finite world this can't continue.
    In an attempt to maintain the lifestyle we live now the world will attemp to mitigate the effects of peak oil by:
    Converting Coal To Oil, try and extract more oil from the Tar sands of Canada and grow vast quantities of biofuels.

The first 2 are going to increase carbon emission in a serious way. This will further contribute to Global Warming. Global Warming will effect food production. For instance the drought in Australia means we will probably have to import wheat to meet domestic demand.

Also, vast tracts of land that are currently used for food production will start being used for biofuels production.
    Everything we do, all the food we eat, all the things we buy are oil derivataves. It takes oil to grow, make, dig up, transport, package etc. everything in our lives.

Humans being humans, we will fight over the last of the food, oil and other resourses.

Basically, the behavour of mankind over the last 150 years has left us in a position that unless we radically change our ways now we will be in for some very nasty times in the very near future.

We've got a very small window available to us to make changes to the way we behave. Let your pollie know that it's worth votes.

Huh.:confused:

Al

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner View Post
    Huh.:confused:

Al
    It means ya shood go buy a home brew kit Al afore the pubs all close down.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Self interest and greed will win the day. .
    Yay !!! And so they should too.

More power to the greedy.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    More power to the greedy.
    I've got it sussed!

You know that saying: the rich get richer and the poor get poorer?

Well I don't intend to get poorer!

P

You know where I stand on this. I am convinced that I will see it in my life time.

I feel so bad for my children.

I hope that I am wrong.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

I look at the predictions of doom from a geologist's viewpoint. The Earth has undergone enormous climate changes in the past. Much of North America, and northern Europe was covered in ice sheets within the past million years; and the coal deposits in Antarctica indicate that once there were tropical swamps there. Plant fossils from Cretaceous times indicate that Australia once had very widespread rainforests. Back in the 1950's the scientific consensus was that the world was destined to cool down disastrously. Now the pendulum has swung the other way.

In my view, if global warming happens as predicted currently, there will be major detriments, but there will also be compensating gains. Areas that previously were too cold for agriculture will then be able to grow food.

Often, natural disasters can bring increased prosperity and a new lease of life. Look at Darwin's progress since Cyclone Tracy.

I am an optimist.

Rocker