Default On economic stimulus

With the economic stimulus packages now passed, both here and in the US, this article makes sobering reading.

I just hope these guys are wrong, because if they aren't then the fan is going to be horribly smelly

I think they're right. Rather than giving people cash in their hand, I'd much rather see that money spent directly on infrastructure projects like new road, rail, PUBLIC housing, etc.

Cash in hand goes to retailers, and eventually flows off-shore with very little domestic gain.

While we're at it, time to stop the first-home-buyer grants. All they do is lure people into debt they can't afford, while enabling inflation to drag up the cost of all building projects.
    ... as long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation. (A.Hitler)

Quote Originally Posted by ron dunn View Post
    i think they're right. Rather than giving people cash in their hand, i'd much rather see that money spent directly on infrastructure projects like new road, rail, public housing, etc.

Cash in hand goes to retailers, and eventually flows off-shore with very little domestic gain.

While we're at it, time to stop the first-home-buyer grants. All they do is lure people into debt they can't afford, while enabling inflation to drag up the cost of all building projects.
    Cheers,

Howdya

Proudly supporting research into the therapeutic benefits of the Friday Thread

The government are not that stupid.

They realise that the vast majority of the money goes back to the pokies so it end back up in their coffers
    In one hand and back in the other.

After talking to a lot of people after the last instalment most agreed that they did not really need it and left it in the bank for a rainy day.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Well I believe that both myself ans MBGitW will finally qualify for a government handout after for myself 20 years of paying taxes. The money will be used to go to Tasmania in September. So the money won't be going OS
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

I'm all for it, as I can see bikes paths and roof insulation will move us out of going into a recession into the biggest world economy.

Like It should never have been passed.

I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

I've heard a few others talking about this 'hyper-inflation'. Wonder whose boofhead they'll put on our $1,000,000 note - Mugabe maybe
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Well I believe that both myself ans MBGitW will finally qualify for a government handout after for myself 20 years of paying taxes. The money will be used to go to Tasmania in September. So the money won't be going OS

Sorry Pat, but my cousin lives in Tasmania and he regularly visits the UK and brings home some cash.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln