Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone for cricket

Have you heard the score?
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Scribbly Gum is offline When the student is ready, the Teacher will appear

Quote Originally Posted by jow104 View Post
    Sadly yes.
    I think that the Australian cricket team is about to be taught a very brutal lesson in humility.
    Take it on the chin boys.
    SG
    .... some old things are lovely
    Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them ........................D.H. Lawrence
    https://thevillagewoodworker.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jow104 View Post

Looks like the Australian team may be in for a bit of revamping in the not so distant future.

It was a horrible first day. I was hoping it was the pitch, then the England team proved otherwise

Just when I thought we were on a winning streak .... I reckon the Aus selectors are on the English payroll . Has anyone seen Hansie Cronje lurking around taking bets ?? What a miserable performance by us and well done to the poms.
    Regards
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbly Gum View Post
    I think that the Australian cricket team is about to be taught a very brutal lesson in humility.
    Take it on the chin boys.
    SG
    Sorry but this is a ...... up analysis. Humility? Take it on the chin ? Scribbly, you must be a Pom.

Quote Originally Posted by lesmeyer View Post
    and well done to the poms.
    Regards
    Les
    Sheeze...

Exclamation

Well, I think it is time for a serious rethink on the way cricket is run in Australia.

England finally followed the lead set by australia that was so effective for about 20 years. They are now reaping the rewards while we appear to have been resting on our laurels.

Terry - had a look at your website!!

Scribbly Gum is offline When the student is ready, the Teacher will appear

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum View Post
    Sorry but this is a ...... up analysis. Humility? Take it on the chin ? Scribbly, you must be a Pom.

Sheeze...

No Jim - just an embarrassed long time cricket lover.
    I have loved seeing the Australian team win over the last twenty or so years. During this time we have really dominated cricket. Sadly I have watched some members of the team display some quite unsavory personal characteristics. These we have all overlooked as the team went on its winning way.
    It has only really been the poor form of late that has forced us to look at their total package rather than just their cricketing ability. And in some cases what we see is not necessarily pretty.
    Now as to the lesson in humility, it is from this personal development point of view that it is overdue and necessary.
    I would love to see the Australian team winning again, but I like cricket more than I like the individuals or even the teams.
    When I played, there was a sense of gentlemanliness about the game that applauded great cricket no matter who executed the action. Great batting, bowling or fielding was appreciated and acknowledged even if it was an affirmation to the opposition.
    Sledging was only done in fun and no animosity really meant by it.
    Some of what we have come to see as "normal" in the game now , is really not very pretty, and certainly not the behaviour of a gentleman.
    It just isn't cricket!
    I know I might be alone in my views, but the Australian team needs a lesson in humility, and they are getting it.
    If they take it on the chin and learn from it, their cricket might improve - certainly the game will be better for it.
    Having said all that, well done the Poms, and Come on Aussie!

Cheers
    SG
    .... some old things are lovely
    Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them ........................D.H. Lawrence
    https://thevillagewoodworker.blogspot.com/

its raining yeah saved by the weather for a short time anyway
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs .

I expect that we will loose the match and there fore the poms will retain The Ashes.

Fat lady hasn't sung yet, melbourne weather may be our 12 man .....I hope
    BTW jow where was your posts regarding the last test
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

I don't hear any singing either.

We do need to "blood" some of our youngsters earlier rather than waiting until we are in a jam and then putting them in and placing so much pressure on a newbie that he almost has to fail. The selectors also do appear to make some strange descisions.

Sack Hildich replace him with Chappell

Sack the person responsible for re-signing Tim Nelson last week for a further 2 years.

Sack Tim Nelson and replace him with Warne.

Sack Jamie Cox and get Merv back

Sack the flat track bully Hughes and replace him with Shaun Marsh

Sack Hilfenhouse and replace him with Clint McKay

Move Mr Cricket up to 3 as he is still in good form, but soon as that drops off replace him with Khawaja

Clark on borrowed time.

Relieve Ponting of Captaincy, and drop him to 5

Bring in Cam White at 6 and make him Captain (replacing Smith at 6 who is still years away)

Look to the future and replace Haddon with Wade.

Blood Beer

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Terry - had a look at your website!!
    Thanks. Still a work in progress and lots of re-jigging and editing to do, but its getting there

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore View Post
    Fat lady hasn't sung yet, melbourne weather may be our 12 man .....I hope
    BTW jow where was your posts regarding the last test
    Yes Ashore, I could not understand how a team could slip so, both teams appear to be inconsistent.
    However nice to get one in.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

This English team is a good, disciplined unit. That has not come about by chance. Obviously a great deal of work has been done by England to get the team to this standard. They do everything well - including the way they conduct themselves!!

SG, I could not agree with you more. I love cricket, always have. Playing as a youngster and right into my 20s there was and air of common respect and friendship amongst players. I umpired up to district level for a number of years until hayfever forced me to give that up. Even as an umpire there was a great feeling of respect and friendship amongst everyone. Sure, there were always a few niggles, but nothing serious. A bit of humour, a few beers after a game - good times.

These days it seems the higher up the ladder you get, the further from the old ideals you are.

One more thing - Thank goodness for the Barmy Army!!