Gday all,

Dont think Ive posted here since renovation got its own forum... I like it

Couple of quick questions (have been searching on the forums but just want some clarification).

I am soon to lay approx 75m2 of floating floor over an existing timber floor (ripping up carpet, a smaller section of floating floor and covering some of the existing floor that has been poorly finished to have the one type of floor through the living areas and halls). Have been down the road of re sanding and finishing the existing floor but it has been ruled out by SWMBO.

So my questions:

1) I have a few spots in the house with creaking floors, nearly all the creaks are due to flexing between the boards (between the joists). I have tried the method of screwing ply to the underside of the floor but this has only worked in some cases. Since I am soon to rip up the carpet I now have more options. I have read here that putting self tapper through the join of the tongue and groove boards from above will help? or even some talc powder?

2) I am leaving carpet in the bedrooms, what is the best way of fixing the metal strip to the existing floor to finish the floating floor and carpet against? Adhesive? Nail it down?

3) Im hoping to finish the carpet in the bedrooms (where it is cut) myself using some of the leftover smooth edge I rip up from the other rooms... Will I be able to stretch the carpet enough to finish it well without the proper carpet laying equipment?

4) One room is approx 8m wide. Is a 10mm expansion gap on each side still appropriate?

5) Is the preferred method of fixing the beading to the skirting nailing? I am not removing the skirting but will undercut the door frames.

Thanks
Joel

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...