Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Alby's new kitchen

Hi every one Ive been busy the last few months with building a new kitchen for my wife. Both of us suffer from back backs and we have had enough of the hard work associated with cooking and cleaning. So here it is, I used timber floor boards to make the bench top and secret nailed them to the particle board. There is still another coat of resin to be applied and the splash back material is yet to be ordered, but the wife said she wanted a cherry red colour for the splash back. So as not to be caught out with the colour I said to my darling wife " I 'll paint the splash back area in the colour first before ordering the actual material". I didn't want to getting caught out with a material that she didn't like.
    Once the kitchen has been completed I'll post some more photos then.Cheers Alby
    2012-09-07 16.59.06.jpg2012-09-07 16.59.38.jpg2012-09-14 20.44.58.jpg2012-10-19 20.17.56.jpg2012-10-19 20.18.13.jpg2012-10-19 20.18.40.jpg2012-09-14 20.45.07.jpg2012-10-19 20.19.03.jpg2012-10-19 20.18.28.jpg2012-10-19 20.18.19.jpg2012-10-19 20.19.03.jpg2012-10-19 20.18.54.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking really good Alby,you have done a very nice job on your kitchen love the bench top. You said another coat of resin what are you using on the top.
    Regards Rod.

Good evening Rod, I'm using Megapoxy 132 which is a 2 part mix (2 parts of A and 1 part of B). This resin is used as a floor coating in factories. It is utilized in the food processing industry as a floor coating as it complies with food grade safe products, it is also resistant to the acids used in the food processing industry that are used in the sterilization process when cleaning the machines.
    This product can be purchased from Resimax in Adelaide. I do not know of suppliers outside of Adelaide.

Nice bench top Alby I love that corner it looks real smick

Hi Alby
    You got to love the warmth of a timber top, are the cabinets new if so did you make them yourself.
    I am about to redo our kitchen but work has been so quiet this year i might have to use Flat Pack cabinets to keep the cost down.
    Anyway that's a good job your doing, i think the red s/b will look great.
    Cheers
    Paul

Hi Paul, regarding the kitchen cupboards I used the Kaboodle flat pack system sold by Bunnings. Before the missus and I decided on which flat pack brand was going to be used; I did a cost comparison between Bunnings, Mitre 10, Tru-Value, Home Timber and Hardware. The end result was the Bunnings Kaboodle system.
    During the building of the cabinets I found some of the componets were damaged and I did not have any problems in getting replacements components.
    I had thought of building the whole lot from scratch but I found that it was not cost effective.

Thanks for your reply Alby, I am leaning towards the flat packs myself mainly because works quiet and i have a shed full of tools that the wife wonders what i need them for, whenever i make a carcass out of melamine it always ends up grubby by the time you edge the boards/bore hinge holes etc., The adjustable legs would be a lot easier to level than plaining a base like they use too i would imagine.

Don't forget some photo's when your kitchen is done.
    Paul

No worries on the photos; it's not often I get to show off what I have achieved.

We too used floor boards for the benchtop of the bathroom cabinet, but instead of secret nailing them, we just glued them together.
    Then they were sanded silky smooth before being attached to the cabinet.
    We too have replaced the kickboards on the kitchen cabinets with adjustable legs. No need for packing if the floor isn't perfectly level
    Love the way you did the corner.
    Hope your wife realises how much the red clashes with the benchtop and detracts from the beautiful timber.
    You need a neutral colour to emphasise the timber. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Every day is better than yesterday

Cheers
    SAISAY

Yeh I know what you mean, but that is the colour she wanted; which is why I went and painted it first instead of getting the splash back material. I won't be ordering any material until she has made her mind up. Thanks for the suggestion.

You have done a good job on the kitchen.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments and encouragement, I've obviously been in hiding and forgot to come outside. Thanks once again, oh by the way the missus still wants the red splash back. Tomorrow the bench top get's it's final sanding and coat of resin; then the splash back material gets ordered and installed. Then of course the obligatory photos for the world to see.

Cheers Alby