Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Asbestos walls

Question Asbestos walls

G'day all,

What would be the best thing to do with Asbestos walls? would you plaster over the top or would you try to remove them room by room and replace? The only thing is i think that the whole house is made out of it.

What would be the most cost efficient way of dealing with this little problem. Some of the walls do have cracks and one has a little hole will that be a problem?

Thanks to anyone with some helping advice!!!!

Removing Asbestos is quite a task and should be undertaken by licensed, qualified contractors which is very expensive. The use of Asbestos was banned in Australia in December 2003 if I remember rightly. If the asbestos is not disturbed then chances are it is not a danger to your health. Do not drill, sand, saw or cut it.
    My work, before I retired was roof restoration and from time to time it was necessary for an asbestos roof to be painted. By law it is not allowed for the surface to be prepared in the usual way, i.e. water blasting, scrubbing or sanding etc. All I could do was seal the existing surface by spraying on a suitable sealer and then applying 3 or 4 coats of the finishing coats.
    You would have to seal the existing walls and then plaster them or paint them. I would check out any other procedures that may have to be adhered to relating to working with asbestos in your state.

There will be others in the forum who will have more experience in asbestos wall renovating and I am sure they will be offering you some worthwhile advice.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Exclamation

G'day Shan and welcome to the shed!!

You might want to try the Reonvate Forums as there is lots of advice to be had there. Look in the left column and click on the title . You will have to register.

I agree with Munruben.

Asbestos is apparently safe enough if already sealed in some way and NOT disturbed. Painting and plastering over it seems a reasonable way to go,

Default asbesto, best left alone

Shan,

Having spent a number of years working for a leading manufacturer of fibro etc and being involved in R&D for the same company. I would recommend leaving as it is and just painting over it etc. If you have to change physically move the sheeting, cut or drill holes etc. Its best left to those who have the training and equipment to do so safely.

Remember theres no minimal exposure level, cases have been reported of wifes who have washed their husbands clothes coming down with mesothelioma.

Also its not so much as what flying around in the air etc when its been worked up. But the house will require a thorough clean up after ward to remove all the residual dust etc.
    All in all, a costly business, it pretty well boils down to paint or demolish.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso