Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Help! Sick table saw

Hi all,

Pharting around in the shed today, making a small hall table, and went to make a cut on the T/S (a Sherwood MJ-2331, with a 3hp motor), and the motor made an odd sort of sound and just barely got the blade rotating - before the circuit breaker tripped. :mad:

Hmm, methinks, I'll try a different machine (2hp D/C on the same circuit) and works fine.

Have another try with the T/S - same story. I blew out the motor with compressed air, and had a look at the switch innards, but all that seemed to be ok. I'm aware that some motors have moderately large starting capacitors, so didn't want to hook up a test meter straight away, and probably wouldn't know what readings to look for anyway

I'm wondering if this type of motor has a primary winding and a secondary one, and if there is a 'gremlin' attached to that second one?

Contrary to "blokes law", I did not start pulling the motor's ancialliary covers off, as I wouldn't really know what I'm doing.

Any suggestions before I have to take the motor off and take it to the "doc"?

Suggestions welcome!

Sounds like a tricky one.

Maybe consider taking the capacitor out of another machine that is working well and temperarily put it in the table saw motor....if its of the same type of coarse. uno...to see if its the table saws capacitor....

Everytime you start the table saw does it behave the same way ?

Have you tried checking the power cord for cuts... might be the cord. I've had to replace quite a few cords. Even if they haven't got cuts in them sometimes they've broken under the rubber cover. If you wiggle the cord about and it momentarily starts the motor, that could be it. But that probably wouldn't be related to that circuit breaker going. Not sure.

I'd test the capacitor first......goodluck. Sorry not much help.

Quote Originally Posted by Auld Bassoon
    I'm wondering if this type of motor has a primary winding and a secondary one, and if there is a 'gremlin' attached to that second one?
    Yep, the start (secondary?) winding gets the motor up to speed before the motor switches to the run (primary) winding. The centrifugal (gremlin) switch does the switching and it hides behind the fan on the motor shaft. Try giving it a clean.
    Dan

But AB, I seem to remember a recent post with a happysnap and you saying how great it "was".

Seems like a gooe quality Aussie motor might be the go.

Ken

The table saw is back in action

I took the motor to an electric motor repair business down in Moorabbin (J Gardner Electric Motor Repairs Pty Ltd), and collected it this morning.

It seems it had a U/S starter capacitor, so $60 lighter and I'm back in business