Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Exploding Mobile Phones

http://www.smh.com.au/news/unusual-t...18207.html:oo:

To think where some people put their phones

Interesting read though. As an earthmover I always keep my phone in one of my shirt pockets for ease of access. I'm waiting on a replacement battery now for it so I hope it turns up soon.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

rrich Guest

I'm at a loss to understand the physics causing the battery to explode while not being charged.

Unless... The phone was rigged with malacious intentions...

The man's mobile phone was on fire at the time, the worker told police. The worker put out the fire and then called emergency services.

With the phone?

Sounds like another erbane miff, mines never exploded.

I still have the extreme pleasure of being someone who doesn't have a mobile phone........its not that important to me to be "on call" as it were........Luv it!

Ive see where Noel lives, the Bunyip still roams and howls in the night time, the local folk are afraid to step out doors after dark.

And with good reason too!

There was a major recall of Lithium Ion batteries in laptops last year, apparently there was a build up of hydrogen in the batteries which led to explosions. Dunno if its the same issue but HP, Dell, Sony, IBM etc were caught up. There are some great pictures on Google images.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06007.html and www.cnet.com.au/.../0,239035649,240092180,00.htm

Sebastiaan
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...037117278.html

I'll be looking forward to hearing this develop into a really solid urban myth over the next few years, the truth surely won't stand in the way...
    Cheers, Richard

"... work to a standard rather than a deadline ..." Ticky, forum member.

Default Myth Cover Up

Mobile phone 'death' a ruse: police

South Korean police say what they thought had been a death caused by an exploding mobile phone was actually a ruse used by a co-worker to cover up an accidental vehicular homicide.
    Police and a doctor who examined the body of a 33-year-old quarry worker had said the victim was found dead with a burning mobile phone stuck to his chest and they were looking into whether he was killed by an exploding battery.
    "The co-worker confessed to us last (Thursday) night that he had actually hit him by accident and lied about the mobile phone exploding," said an official with the Cheongju Heungdeok police station, about 100km southeast of Seoul.
    The co-worker confessed to police that he pinned the victim to a rock face while backing up a construction vehicle.
    Police are investigating whether the phone caught fire due to intense pressure or if the co-worker set it ablaze, local media reported.
    The victim, who was pronounced dead on arrival at a hospital, had burns on his chest, fractured ribs and internal bleeding, the doctor said.

Default Places where people put their mobile

A short time ago on Melbourne radio, there was a general discussion of home safety. One topic was Microwave oven radiation leakage. The learned guest expert suggested that people put a working mobile into their microwave, close the door and call the mobile from another phone. If the mobile in the microwave rang, the microwave had a radiation leak, if you got a mobile not available message, there was good containment.

Five mintes later one irate woman rang up, having destroyed her mobile and microwave. Yep, she turned the microwave on before calling the mobile.

rrich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Mobile phone 'death' a ruse: police
    South Korean police say what they thought had been a death caused by an exploding mobile phone was actually a ruse used by a co-worker to cover up an accidental vehicular homicide.
    Quote Originally Posted by malb View Post
    Five mintes later one irate woman rang up, having destroyed her mobile and microwave. Yep, she turned the microwave on before calling the mobile.

Ah the logic of it all!

ROTFLMAO!