Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Stainless threaded rod

Do any members know where I can buy stainless all-thread rod, 8 mm? I need to make us some studs to chemically anchor into concrete/sandstone stairs to secure balustrade. I know where I can buy it by the tonne in Hong Kong, but that's a fat lot of good to me at the moment

Pete

Just with a quick search for either stainless booker rod or stainless allthread there were a couple come up that will post for under $10.
    There 304 was under $10 for a metre and there 316 was under $25 for a metre.

The Bunnings I go to has it.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Steamwhisperer View Post
    The Bunnings I go to has it.

Phil
    Serious? Ok I've never seen it at the one I go to, mind you I'm normally so busy trying to get out of there faster I probably don't notice a lot of things. It's a particularly crappy store, but if some sell it, it could be worth ringing around. I'd never considered buying it online, but if Peter says it's easily available and they can post it I guess sure, why not!

Cheers

I must admit I nearly fell over when I saw it. They even had high tensile. Stamped and everything.

Phil

Yeah, Bunnings. Usually in the hardware section at end of aisle near angle brackets etc.

Nev

I have never seen stainless or high tensile allthread over here at Bunnings. Maybe I'm like Pete, in too much of a hurry to leave to look hard enough.

Do they still sell taps and dies over your neck of the woods? Back maybe six years ago they culled those items from the Sutton range in the Perth stores. I wonder how long they will continue to stock Sutton drills.

BT

Default Threaded Stainless Rod

Pete
    The company Whitworths Marine have Stainless Threaded rod in 3 ft lengths
    Only available in Imperial 3/16" 1/4" 5/16" 3/8" 1/2"
    The 5/16ths would be the closest to your 8mm
    Price $12.95 per 3ft length
    They also have the range of stainless nuts to suit.
    Closest location Brookvale, Mona Vale, or Crows Nest open 7 days
    Phone no 02 9939 1055
    I bet you are wanting to get your ballustrade job finished
    regards
    Bruce

Most bearing supply stores have it also. My local AIS has a full range of Stainless,High Tensile,Gal and Zinc all thread.
    Matt
    Warning Disclaimer

Quote Originally Posted by Steamwhisperer View Post
    I must admit I nearly fell over when I saw it. They even had high tensile. Stamped and everything.

Phil
    One of the school kids ... errr, I mean "team members" probably ordered it by mistake

Bruce I will use metric as I already have the dome nuts, and besides in principle just use metric where I can. I think Australia switched to metric about 35 years ago and I figure that's more than enough "transition period".

Yes it will be nice to have it finished. It's one of those jobs that looks deceptively easy, but there's in fact quite a lot of work in it. You know me too, it has to be "just right". So far so good.

Pete

Ueee is offline Blacksmith, Cabinetmaker, Machinist, Messmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    I have never seen stainless or high tensile allthread over here at Bunnings. Maybe I'm like Pete, in too much of a hurry to leave to look hard enough.

Do they still sell taps and dies over your neck of the woods? Back maybe six years ago they culled those items from the Sutton range in the Perth stores. I wonder how long they will continue to stock Sutton drills.

BT
    They stopped selling taps and dies several years ago here in Canberra (tuggeranong). I have seen brass threaded rod recently, though no stainless. They also have some solid brass bar there.

I remember down the coast we had a BBC, and they were a hardware and tool store. The local bunnings tool section is tiny and its really a homewares shop.
    Ewan

Quote Originally Posted by Pete F View Post
    I need to make us some studs to chemically anchor into concrete/sandstone stairs to secure balustrade.
    Pete,
    Good call. Chemsets are much better than dynabolts. I epoxied about a million M10 SS studs into my pool wall to attach a timber plate for the decking to sit on (the engineer wouldn't allow dynabolts). Are you using the glass capsules or the stuff in the tube with the mixer nozzle?

I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, but if using the mixer nozzles make damn sure it is fully mixing before squirting it into the hole. Otherwise you'll end up with a very sticky mess and bolts that pull out when you tighten them.

Edit- For vertical studs I use a liquid epoxy called Epirez 133. I just squirt a measured amount into the hole with a syringe and then drop the stud in. It sets a lot slower (hours) giving you time to line-up the studs. I believe it's a lot stronger than the stuff in the tubes too. On bigger jobs it's also cheaper. A 1 litre kit does a LOT of holes.

Chris
    Last edited by jack620; 15th March 2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: more info

The Bunnings over my way (ashfield ) stocks frost taps an dies (made in China)
    BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

Andre

Ueee is offline Blacksmith, Cabinetmaker, Machinist, Messmaker

Quote Originally Posted by jack620 View Post

I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, but if using the mixer nozzles make damn sure it is fully mixing before squirting it into the hole. Otherwise you'll end up with a very sticky mess and bolts that pull out when you tighten them.
    I once used a tube (yes only once, many years ago) with a mixer nozzle and i had to use up half of the half length tube before it mixed properly. What a waste! I'm sure they are better now, but be careful.

Ewan

covertry fastners they are at a few places but i know alexndria & artarmon,
    Austin stainless at Alburn
    masbolt at easterncreek
    few other stainless shops on nth beachs as well has hardware & general industrial at brookvale

all three of the above have 12mm 316 1mt lengths for around 14bucks each,

i rang around the other day as i had to buy few fair lengths,

you can get 304 even cheaper,

noway ill go to bunnings for this stuff, i know that a pack of 2 nuts is something like 4dollars crazy crazy prices