Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Looking for a supplier of burls near Sydney

Hi, I am going to be visiting Sydney from the US in July and I am looking for a place were I can buy some native woods to ship back to the U.S. especially some burls.
    Other people I have emailed have mentioned Brads Burls but there are two address and two emails on the website. I have emailed both email addresses with no response. Is this place still in buisness? If so hich address is correct? Is it close to public transportation? (I will not have a car when I visit.)

I will also been in Cairns and Alice Springs for a little while (I will only have an extra 1/2 day in each place besides tours) if there is any place in those towns.

As far as size I am a woodturner and only have a Jet Mini Lathe so I am looking for small turning blanks and pen blanks. I have a bandsaw and have no problems cutting my own from burls either.

Thanks!

When what dates are you in Sydney???
    How longs your stay in Sydney???
    How are you proposing to get around to these places if no car???

Brad's Burls not sure if they still operate can check, they are located close to the city aprox 15/20 k's public transport or cab which will cost you a packet.

Next place is Trend Timbers out west Windsor http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/index.php

or a special post/thread to Greg Ward on this forum or PM will give you Mal's Boutique Timbers they had some nice ones at the Sydney wood working show this weekend.

I am going to be there the 14-21 of july but I will be involved with WYD so I am not sure how much free time I am going to have yet.
    As far as getting around I will have to rely on public transporation. There seems to be a train stop not far from Trend timbers but I can't seem to figure out if a train/bus would go out to Brad Burls.
    I have not heard of Mal's Boutique Timbers yet. Where are they located? Do they have a website?

Thanks

Mate your out of luck thanks to the Pope & WYD ( sorry but this is a joke World Youth Day should be CWYD) Sydney is going to be APIA to get around public transport wise

I wish you the best in your endeavours

Try Salty72, he should be able to help you out with some burls.
    everything is something, for a reason:confused:

I think Mal from Boutique will be out, his base is 4hours or so north of Sydney near Port Macquarie.

Salty72 is he Salty form newcastle? (2hrs north of Sydney)
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Default Where in Sydney??

"Sydney"'s a big place - if you give us a lot more clues, you'll get more useful responses.

There seems (to me) to be two approaches:
    1) you getting to a burl/timber place (this would potentially get you more timber, shipped OS)
    2) getting some burl/timber to you (probably less timber, but more chance of it happening)

Where are you staying?
    Are you able to take some burls/timber back with you?
    Are you visiting Featherdale Wildlife Park? (My sister works there, and she's already going crazy trying to plan to cope with the WYD overload)

Cheers,
    Andrew

I might be able to take some burls/timber back with me but I am stopping in New Zealand for a couple of days on the way back and I am not sure about their customs plus airline weight restrictions. I would prefer to get the timber shipped overseas, even if that means buying a box and taking it to the post myself.

I am not planning on visiting Featherdale Wildlife Park at this point. I think I could only manage that if I take a tour to the Blue Mountains that include it as part of the tour.
    I still don't know where I am staying yet. Could be CBD, Sydney Olympic Park, homestay in the suburbs?
    I am going to call the WYD people this evening (tomorrow your time) and see what information I can get. Emails are getting nowhere.