Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Loose handles on Bailey pattern planes

I have several Bailey pattern planes, #4 Stanley, #5 Record, #7 Record for example. The #4 was my first plane, purchased around 40 years ago. The others have not been used much but they all suffer what I think is a basic fault, namely that the handle moves a little on the plane even with the attaching screw tight. It happens when I put it down on its side or pick it up, and sometimes when pushing it vigorously. A friend brought around his Lie Nielsen a while ago and that seemed to have the some movement as well.

Is this a common experience?

See the fourth paragraph here for a discussion of a similar problem and a solution.

Alternatively, if the movement is not that much....find some small washers and put them on the threaded rod (at the top end.....). Often you don't need 1/8" but only a few thou.....
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

I fixed mine the same way as Jeremy - only a very thin washer needed
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

My plastic handled Stanley suffered the same problem for years, then I fixed it with a small dollop of epoxy bog. Good old Builder's Bog would do the trick too, you can smear a bit of grease on the mating ends if you like, because it's not about gluing it, just making a gasket that fits perfectly.

(I chose to glue mine!)

Before anyone reels in horror, it's easy enough to free it up if necessary, by warming the sole of the plane!

Cheers,

P