Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Old Hardwood

Default Old Hardwood

Hi All

Just a question for my interest. What do the renovators out there do with their old hardwood (studs, beams etc.)? It doesn't take much demolition to end up with quite a pile of old timber. In the past some of mine has become firewood and some has been re-used for building, however it is generally quite hard to work with compared to pine.

Has anyone come up with any good ideas because I am just about to come into quite a bit more when the old shed comes down!

Would it last much time as edging for raised veggie patches?
    I wouldn't mind using it for a pergola but it's mostly 70 x 45 so it might be a bit on the small looking size for that application.

Just interested if anyone has come up with good uses ... seems a waste to burn or throw out.

Quote Originally Posted by OBBob View Post
    Hi All

Just a question for my interest. What do the renovators out there do with their old hardwood (studs, beams etc.)? It doesn't take much demolition to end up with quite a pile of old timber. In the past some of mine has become firewood and some has been re-used for building, however it is generally quite hard to work with compared to pine.

Has anyone come up with any good ideas because I am just about to come into quite a bit more when the old shed comes down!

Would it last much time as edging for raised veggie patches?
    I wouldn't mind using it for a pergola but it's mostly 70 x 45 so it might be a bit on the small looking size for that application.

Just interested if anyone has come up with good uses ... seems a waste to burn or throw out.
    You could always offer to swap it, if it is in good condition.

I used mine as struts to reinforce the stumps under the house - those from my garage were quite large & long.

Or you could use it as parts of a cubby house for the kids (as concealed studs/noggins).

Or you can machine it up and use it as good quality joinery wood...

It goes in me timber rack till I find a use for it
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by OBBob View Post
    In the past some of mine has become firewood
    Firewood

I'm using secondhand material to make a real workbench

See this thread for the progress so far http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=54301

Yeah ... I know. Have limited storage space so actually I have held onto a heap but sometimes it just has to go. I am trying to design my new shed sing my old timber ... that would be a little more work than ordering some trusses but it would be much better use of it.

My experience with demolition framing hardwood wasn't so great. De-nailing was very troublesome .. some nails left a rusty residue in the hole, which completely stuffed a set of planer blades.

Still I think it would be handy to hang on to. I am alway poking arond to see what I can find. I am olny to happy to take timber off people's hands if they don't want it.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

I've two rather large piles of exactly that as a result of the assisted falling over of the back of our house.....I'm waiting for a spare six months to de-nail it all!! Whilst doing that mind numbing task I'll think of something to do with it!!

However, I found 4 of 4x2 river red gum joists under the house.....each of them are six metres long!! So they are going to be the frames of my new verandah table....happy happy joy joy....once all the floorboard nails are removed!!
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

I'll accept unloved timber
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com