Default Soundproof garage door ideas?

Has anyone tried and succeeded with making their surburban garage door soundproof, so that workshop noise is controlled?

Maybe someone's tried plywood panels over the inside of the doors or similar.

Seems to be plenty information about other aspects of soundproofing (I particularly like the CSR 'External Noise Systems' brochure even though it is about noise getting in rather than out). But garage doors don't seem to be a thing that gets internet coverage.

There's plenty of stories on this forum about irate neighbours etc. but I'm really after practical ideas on noise reduction rather than lots of angry-neighbour stories; if that is possible.

Hey gunna

My neighbour has 'insulated' his garage doors with polystyrene that is about 50 mm thick. Only thing is his doors are tilta-doors I dont know what you could put on rolla-doors......... perhaps underfelt would work but I don't know.

Pete
    If you are never in over your head how do you know how tall you are?

I insulted mine with some f/glass insul bats fixed to the panel door using 3mm mdf sheets screwed to the inside of the door.

I cut large holes in the sheets to make them lighter. It was mainly to stop the heat. My door faces west and gets full afternoon sun. it was like having a large radiator panel in the garage. great in winter, bloody hot in summer. the bats stopped the heat and would probably do the same to the noise level.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Well thanks for the replies, they give me an idea that its better to think of a tilt-a-door arrangement (better than say a roll-a-door). The single panel of a tilt-door will allow extra cladding on the back of the door; which itself can have a plywood facade.

Titl-a-doors need a spring and some kind of counterweight if I remember right. That might mean that the best type of sound insulation (dense, i.e. heavy) clad onto the door might exceed in weight whatever adjustment there is to the spring or counterweight.

Has anyone tried it?

Bloke next door has just fixed the polystyrene on with liquid nails or similar. He has used an aircompressor in there with the doors down and while one can hear it, it is not loud by any means.

He has also said that the heat reduction is very impressive (also west facing doors). He has not added any counter weights due to the lightweight properties of the 'trene. I think he did both doors for under 150 bucks too so it was not $$$$

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    Bloke next door has just fixed the polystyrene on with liquid nails or similar. He has used an aircompressor in there with the doors down and while one can hear it, it is not loud by any means.
    If you decide to go this way don't use the normal solvent based liquid nails, your polystyrene foam will disappear like snow before the sun.

I used the Selleys waterbased one when I glued polystyrene panels to my shed roof.

Thanks big I knew it was not liquid nails but some such thing.

Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    I insulted mine with some f/glass insul bats.........
    You must haver very touchy doors, I haven't managed to insult mine, no matter what sort of abuse I've hurled at them.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    You must haver very touchy doors, I haven't managed to insult mine, no matter what sort of abuse I've hurled at them.

Mick
    stupid @#$##$$%ing door !

I 'aint the tyop kign fur nufin !
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.