Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default The good ol' days

Air conditioned lunch rooms, with fridges and pie warmers?

Meh, grow some cojones!

No prizes for where they went when nature called!!
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Hard to tell when nature's calling when your whatsits are up in your throat most of the time!

P

Here is another shot from the same crossbeam.
    Quite a historic photo of its day:
    Lunch atop a Skyscraper (New York Construction Workers Lunching on a Crossbeam) is a famous photograph taken by Charles C. Ebbets during construction of the GE Building at Rockefeller Center in 1932.

The photograph depicts 11 men eating lunch, seated on a girder with their feet dangling hundreds of feet above the New York City streets. Ebbets took the photo on September 29, 1932, and it appeared in the New York Herald Tribune in its Sunday photo supplement on October 2. Taken on the 69th floor of the GE Building during the last several months of construction, the photo Resting on a Girder shows the same workers napping on the beam.
    I stumbled on it at this site; Images That Changed The World. Just a word of warning that some may find some of these images disturbing. Whilst not being gory, some do depict scenes of death, or impending death. Certainly some historically significant photos there though.

Some very moving images there, some I've seen before some not. I can almost understand why one of the photographers committed suicide, must've been hard to witness some of those scenes and not be able to do anything about it but record it.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Wow, some wonderful images. When I cogitate on the stuff that has happened over the last 50 years I wonder about others. Fall of the Berlin Wall, Pol Pot's regime, and on and on.

As for Cojones, there was a joke about what they all brought for lunch, but Im sure that has done the rounds

Sebastiaan
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Here's a few more famous and mesmerizing pics that I'd add to the list:
    Rebel without a cause.
    Candle in the wind.
    Revolution
    Success
    Fragility
    Pillars of creation
    Afghan Girl
    "She was one of the world's most famous faces, yet no one knew who she was. Her image appeared on the front of magazines and books, posters, lapel pins, and even rugs, but she didn't know it. Now, after searching for 17 years, National Geographic has once again found the Afghan girl".
    Pale Blue Dot
    And here's one that really put us in our place
    Some say "The most important image ever taken"

good pics pawnhead
    100% of all non-smokers die

Watched the hubble vid.

I have nothing to say
    Don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

Timber is what you use. Wood is what you burn.

I think the Hubble ultra deep field pic is even nicer. Everything in the photo is a galaxy - about 10,000 galaxies in the picture. Would take a bit under a million years to get the Hubble to map the entire sky like that...

Don't download the 60 meg version unless you are really keen!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    I think the Hubble ultra deep field pic is even nicer. Everything in the photo is a galaxy - about 10,000 galaxies in the picture. Would take a bit under a million years to get the Hubble to map the entire sky like that...

There's some great pics and vids at that Hubble site. You just can't get your head around how big it is, and how many galaxies are out there.

There's a project going at the moment where they're asking computer users to help classify galaxies.
    Scientists seek galaxy hunt help
    A new project known as Galaxy Zoo is calling on members of the public to log on to its website and help classify one million galaxies.

One advantage is that you get to see parts of space that have never been seen before. These images were taken by a robotic telescope and processed automatically, so the odds are that when you log on, that first galaxy you see will be one that no human has seen before.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6289474.stm

As was famously sung http://www.serve.com/bonzai/monty/songs/TheGalaxySong

You need the pikkies to rub it in, but its a mind blow.

Sebastiaan
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Some amazing pictures there John. I read somewhere that only about 13 workers were killed in work place accidents while the Empire state building was being built. I am surpised that there were not a lot more after seeing those pics.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.