Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: What is MDF

Default What is MDF

I read elswhere that you can get MDF to do door frames etc. What is MDF? Is is some other type of material other than wood. I thought all architraves were made with maranti. Is this correct?

Thanks
    Steve

Gday Steve, MDF is an acronym for Medium Density Fibreboard, a manmade building board manufactured from compressed wood fibres and a resin binder, usually urea formaldehyde I think. The manufacturing process is a bit different but consider it chipboard with much finer chips

It is also commonly called craftwood or customwood, and is quite heavy, stable and dense.

It is used for archtraves sometimes because it has a nice smooth finish suitable for gloss painting, & because it is cheaper than real timber I guess.

Architraves are most commonly MDF, KD hardwood or pine over here in Melb.

Meranti is still available I believe, but seems to be in diminished supply, I think that is because it comes from SE Asian countries where it isn't sustainably harvested.

HTH.................Cheers...................Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks for your help.

Can you use MDF for door jambs as well or is it not strong enough? MDF is the cheapest option for skirtings and architraves then.

Steve

I think you'd want to use hardwood for your door jams. MDF is the go if you want to paint the skirks and architaves.

Chris
    Photo Gallery

Can you get it in flat sheets like partical board? Is it cheaper than partical board?

Yes in various thicknesses, No.
    Photo Gallery

Yes you can get it in flat sheets of varying thicknesses and sizes. We ripped some sheets down and then routed off the edge to create our own skirting profile. One advantage of using it for skirting that wasn't mentioned is that it is quite flexible, and accomodates bends in walls easily, and is also easy to chisel if you have to remove any material from the back.

We also used them for jambs and wouldn't again. Even at 18mm thick it was really hard to stop it flexing, and when we attached our (solid core) 40kg doors, we had to triple hinge them through back to the stud, as the jambs were so weak.

Cheers, Justine

chipboard is more like wood
    mdf is more like compressed blotting paper.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

In Sydney
    Meranti is the most common for door frames for both internal and external situations.

You might consider hardwood for your external doors but the hardwoods are more likely to twist or cracks with varying moisture levels as the timber dries out if it is exposed to sunlight. The more movement in a door frame, the more a door will stick or rattle.

Have never seen pine machined up for door jambs in the timber yards I've been to but thats not to say they wouldn't machine it up for you as a special.

You could never use MDF as an external jamb as external doors are far to heavy, stripping the screw threads. Also the risk of water entering the timber and blowing it up like soggy plaster.

MDF jams no go way to cheap and if used in a wet area would be subject to moisture. (even know HMR).
    Finger Joined Pine gives nice paint finish not much more expensive than maple.
    In commercial offices MDF jambs are used but they are "set" into the plasterboard and then an aluminum plant on stop section is used.
    MDF ok for skirts / archs, nice long lenghts 5.4mt

mdf jambs are ok internally even in bathrooms, have been used heaps with no problems. what do you think all the builders use in project home. My front door and rear door are made out of 2 sheets of 25mm mdf glued and screwed, they are under cover of a 2.3m wide verandah though and are in excellent condition, extremely heavy, allot heavier than a solid timber door. No way anyone would get through one. If your going to paint you may as well save your dollars and use mdf instead of solid timber.

Ahhh - MDF

The new asbestos

There are rising concerns over the dust that is generated from cutting and shaping MDF

Use dust extraction and a respirator when cutting

Material Safety Data Sheet – LPM Customwood® Page 1 of 8

Repeated exposure over many years to uncontrolled wood dust increases the risk of nasal cavity cancer. Inhalation of wood dust may also increase the risk of lung fibrosis (scarring). There are also increased risks of respiratory and skin sensitisation from wood dust and formaldehyde resulting in asthma and dermatitis respectively.
    Wood dust has been evaluated by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as group 1, carcinogenic to humans. Formaldehyde has been evaluated by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as group 1, carcinogenic to humans and by the European Union (EU) as a Category 3 carcinogen (possibly carcinogenic).
    People make mistakes...
    That's why they put erasers on the end of pencils

Quote Originally Posted by BrisBen
    There are rising concerns over the dust that is generated from cutting and shaping MDF
    The cutting of MDF onsite is not allowed in a number of shopping centres and construction sites. Where required to be done on-site, it must be done in a fully sealed room.

Hope that helps to explain how serious people are beginning to take it.

My next door neighbour is a retired shop fitter/cabinet maker. Both he and his son have had cancers removed that were growing from the nasal passage. He lost an eye due to the size but I think his son is ok.

Interestingly they both worked for the same company over the same period and mostly using MDF/particleboard and Masonite (all more or less the same sort of thing) products.

Something for consideration definately

Mediocre tool-Dulling Fine-dusty crap. Excellent for kitchens, templates and dog houses. Strike the dog house.
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!