Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Cool small bathroom design woes!

Hi all... its my first time at this, and would really love some help with a very small bathroom. Its about 2120mm long and 1400mm wide, and currently has a long bath and a vanity in there.. the toilet is outside the back door in a kind of enclosed sunroom type of thing. Its cold and falling apart tso was thinking to put the toilet inside the bathroom. The doorway to the bathroom is on the right and the adjacent window to the left on the back wall. I was thinking about putting a 1400 mm bath with a shower over it under the window across the back wall, (have got 4 kids so kind of need it!) Problem is the only one I've seen is one of those 'Mizu' ones which is about 820mm wide so don't know how to fit a toilet and basin in there too... also in about 5 years time if we ever have the money to renovate we thought to turn this into an ensuite from what is currently the lounge room- which would mean, when looking through the door, that the eventual new doorway would come from the left side of the bathroom. bearing aaaaaaalll this in mind, could someone please advise...!
    Thanks

Default Bathroom Design

I think it would be helpful if you could draw a couple of plans of the existing layout of the house and what u propose to arrive at in about 5 years. My initial thinking is that given space limitation and if this is to be an ensuite eventually then the bath should be discarded and just have a shower, basin and toilet

Cheers
    Juan

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."

As above, a small diagram with reference to doors and windows plus you existing layout would be a starting point.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Hi ZeeZee and welcome to Wooodwork Forums.

There have been several threads on small bathroom designs recently. Do a search on this website and then start refining your parameters.

Also check with your local council on their bathroom design rules. For example, they possibly will not allow you to put a shower across a window, and there are rules on ventilation, floorspace, plumbing, etc.

Finally, make some scale cutouts of various sizes/styles of showers, baths, toilets & vanities, and put them on a graph paper drawing of the bathroom space with door swing & windows marked. If you can fit a 1.2m (4 foot) circle in the middle of this then the bathroom will not feel crammed in use. A 1.4m circle will denote spaciousness, even if the outside walls are compact.

Cheers

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeCook View Post
    If you can fit a 1.2m (4 foot) circle in the middle of this then the bathroom will not feel crammed in use. A 1.4m circle will denote spaciousness, even if the outside walls are compact.
    That would be good planning, but there's no way they're going to get that in their space if they want to take a shower, and a dump, and wash their hands. You'd have to start moving walls, but without any floor plan to look at, then as others have said:
    It's impossible to give any decent advice.

the shower will have to go over the bath in that size room.

An alternative is a prebuilt shower unit with an integral hip bath for the kids
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Default Thanks!

Thanks for help all.. will organise piccies and post them up...

ZeeZee How is your bathroom looking like now?
    In this spring I want to remake my bath by changing the color and incorporating also some lights. Making smart decisions about incorporating lighting into your bathroom design can make a huge difference in the way you see yourself. When your bathroom design features only top lighting above the mirror, all of your facial flaws are accentuated when you look in the mirror. The lines on your face look deeper, and your reflection is in shadow.. but the problem is that my bath is blue (I had white and yellow lights) and my husband wants the bathroom red.. i don't know what color to choose for the lights.
    any idea?

hi

just about finnished by bathroom reno. " thank christ "

the size is 2300 by 1650 the i take it down to a shell face brick and no floor . then reworked it all new wireing and plumbing even but in a new toilet as the house only had one .

i but the bath/shower together on the back wall 1650 then vanity 750 by 460 then the tiolet .
    i use 300 by 450 white mat tiles and mocha floor tiles with two strips of feature tiles up the wall on either size of the shower mixer and spout looked hot the mat tiles make the room a lot bigger .as soon as i fix my bloody computer i will add pics .
    rob

Quote Originally Posted by jags View Post
    hi

just about finnished by bathroom reno. " thank christ "

the size is 2300 by 1650 the i take it down to a shell face brick and no floor . then reworked it all new wireing and plumbing even but in a new toilet as the house only had one .

i but the bath/shower together on the back wall 1650 then vanity 750 by 460 then the tiolet .
    i use 300 by 450 white mat tiles and mocha floor tiles with two strips of feature tiles up the wall on either size of the shower mixer and spout looked hot the mat tiles make the room a lot bigger .as soon as i fix my bloody computer i will add pics .
    rob
    fixed the computer probs yet ?

Our bathroom is 2.5m deep & 1.83m wide, currently have small vanity, shower & corner spa in it, very cramped
    Going to remove spa, remove vanity, add a corner vanity & a toilet - thats the plan at least, need to 'gut' the bathroom, new plaster, insulation in all walls, probably need at least some new floor boards as well (house was built in 1963, shower had a curtain till we moved in, so guessing there will be some damage to the floor)